rolls through it and just replaced the battery, although this fact has

nothing to do with the question :) that the shutter makes uneven

exposures. I have not done extensive testing on the issue - or any

testing at all for that matter - I only looked at photos I made, but I

have a feeling that the left side of the photos (once printed or

contact printed, not the left side of the film sitting inside the

body) is slightly darker (underexposed) compared to the rest of the

frame. For info, I'm using a 35mm f/2 ASPH bought new at the same

time, although I guess this is irrelevant to my question.

Is this a common problem? Because I live in France and the passport

warranty is from the UK (EU shopping ;-) I guess it's a bit of a

trouble to send the camera for repair, but nothing impossible...

Thanks for any help,

Ilan

As the shutter travels horizontally, it speeds up, hence you see the underexposed frames on the left side. I would get a technician to look into it. While the shutter on the M is very durable, but accuracy is not. However, it can be adjusted by a good technician. I think in your case, the shutter was already off and the combination of variable speed as it travels makes it even more pronounced. While people shooting negative film might not be aware of it, using positive chrome will show up quite prominently.

Thanks Henry.

Can the shutter be adjusted for the exposure to be perfectly uniform or is there always some difference between both sides of the frame? In my case it's not too bad so I hesitate to have the camera serviced...

Ilan, have your M6 repaired by Leica if its under warranty. Leica Ms are mechanical and it needs service sooner or later, so I wouldn't worry about sending a Leica in for its "virgin" service. You can always send it back again if its not done right. I once have a "Leitz" version M6 CLA by Leica USA and they swapped the "Leitz" red dot to "Leica" afterwards. I didn't like it because I wanted to keep everything original. Hence I send it back and they replaced the red dot, but then the rangefinder got misaligned afterwards. I send it back again and it was corrected, but they scratched the top plate. Now we had a problem because the Wetzlar top plate have engravings which the latter M6 eliminated. I complained again and back it went to Leica. This time, it came back with a brand new "Wetzlar" top plate. So persistence paid off, and I agree it was a nuisance. However, if I let it go, these things will always bug me in the back of my mind. Leica service are not perfect, but they do correct their problems afterwards if you have to let them know.

With a good mechanism of the shutter on a M body, it will take many years before you need service again. So don't panick about "routine service". Leica is as good as a camera gets when it comes to the service record.

At 1/1000 and to a lesser extent at 1/500 there will always be difference between the left and right. I've never encountered an M where this was not the case. When the shutters are adjusted close to 1MS at the center (at 1/1000), the left (from behind) will read around 0.8MS and the far right about 1.25MS. At 1/500 this becomes less and by 1/250 it's insignficant. Even at 1/1000 the difference is not linear, the fast and slow values occur near the edges but the majority of the frame is within close proximity to the set speed. This would account for why most people don't ever notice it, as part of the deviant areas are usually cropped or masked.

If your M6TTL is exhibiting more pronounced variation, and/or at slower speeds than 1/500, then this thread belongs in the "my Leica's broken please tell me it isn't" category, and you'll either have to ignore the problem or get it fixed.

Saying, "I think...no testing...have a feeling," will get your camera a shelf to shelf tour of Europe. Use slides or negatives to document the problem and provide tangible proof that there is a discernible defect in the end product of a photograph. Take some shots of flatly laid, evenly toned and lighted paper, marked for orientation. Even a mono character wall works. Try (and note) a few without a lens. I know, the lens shouldn't make a difference, but you need a hammer before you argue with a wall. I don't care if it's cars or cameras, warranty service is a money loser where the goal is to wear the customer out while trying to salvage a reputation.

You're right Bob, or at least I agree with you... ;-)

What I intend to do (I thought about this option yesterday) is to choose a more or less evenly lit scene and take a picture, then turn the camera upside down and take another picture. Then I'll print (or contact) the two frames under identical conditions and I'll have a more precise feeling about the problem or lack of problem. I'm making the assumption that the camera's spatial orientation does not have an influence over the shutter curtain travel speed...

The problem is not horrible anyway. If you look at the recently uploaded pictures of mine (and all the 35mm pictures in the "bunch of people" folder for that matter), they were shot with the incriminated Leica. That's why I'm not sure I really have a problem.

Hey pal. I've noticed a slight variation like that myself, but its very very slight. But I've also found that no one whom I show my prints to has ever noticed it unless you point it out to them. And really the only time its been something that I catch is when I'm looking very closely at my prints after they've dried. I've just come to live with it as a tiny quirk in an otherwise lovely camera. I've been looking at your work steadily on here and its not something that jumps out at me when looking at your images. I'd live with it unless its really driving you nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally decided to send the camera for service. The effect bothers me too much and is actually quite visible when you start looking for it...

Leica France told me Leica Solms where overbooked and had a month to a month and a half waiting time, but there's one Leica authorized service person in France (near Toulouse) and that's where I'm going to send the camera.