OT: Advice re. Sigma Digital to supplement my Leica

I am closing the gap between me and digital capture (to supplement my

preferred medium of film). I am considering the Sigma SD9/10 with

Sigma lenses. The Sigma uses the Foevon chip technology. I am

attracted to the Sigma partly because of economy, partly because the

Foevon chip 'sounds good'. Any advice, opinions, warnings from you

guys? Thanks for any help.

The Foveon chip needs a "LOT" of post processing, the last color in the 3 in a row (maybe red) looses about a stop, see luminous-landscape, NormanKoren and Uwe's site for a detailed look at it.

When I was faced with the same decision I went to a Canon 10D, it's better built, the lenses are better, and it's easier to use.

Beware whatever you buy, you will want at least a one 1Gb card if not 2, a spare battery, and "LOTS" of storage space. The learning curve on the 10D is long the Sigma one is longer.

Some hints, the matrix evaluative metering on all these camera's s*ck, go with the partial, only shoot RAW then post process, be prepared to dump alot of money into a good flash unit, the cheap L zooms are slow (F4). The autofocus sometimes doesn't, be prepared to overide it! You will also need to live with the 6 stops of Dynamic Range. You can hop over to the Canon section and search for lens recomendations, I haven't a clue about the Sigma.

Yes the Canon 10D is alot heavier than my Leica M4-P or Hexar RF, it's also noiser, and bulkier.

If you have any particular questions you can email me off line, and don't forget to RTFM at least three times, yes it's 200+ pages long and yes the software manual is worse.

Gerry

John, take a look at the new Pentax 6 meg digital. It's an SLR, but really small and

easy to carry (smaller than the Canon 10D and priced about the same). It takes all

Pentax lenses, so used ones can be had. Can't vouch for the digital sensor or

software, but some of the lenses are pretty good, and I have to believe their first

digital will be decent also.

Thanks all for your opinions so far. Hell, why can't I stick with film? This digital prospect (financialy) terrifies me, although I know I must do it sometime. The coming Xmas break I see as a good time to familiarize myself withe 'new' workflow(s). I have extensive invesment in Leica and Hasselblad and wish to keep them, but digital is wedging into my world whether I want it or not. More research I fear. Your opinions are very valuable and I heed them. Thanks all again.

... I would first check reviews and look at comparison of images: www.imaging-resource.com has a "comparator" page and my second choice would be www.dpreview.com<br>

Secondly, the major problem is the sensor size. The smaller it is, the harsher look you get - sharp all through, no limited DOF<br>

Thirdly I'd check shutter lag (pre-set and pre-focussed). Most of these digital SLRs are 0.1 second or worse, i.e. you'll consistently lose the moment. Compared to a mechanical rangefinder (0.02sec or less) they are incredibly sluggish. So check the lag numbers on www.imaging-resource.com<br>

And finally to see the other side of the coin, hang in a couple of digital photography groups, not here. You'll see as much fanaticism, I predict ;))<p>

Then sit, think and make your choice. Asking others to make your choice for you is not going to work after all.

I second the Canon EOS 10D suggestion. Bokeh of many Canon EF lenses is very leicaesque.<p>If you just want to learn, consider a digital P&S camera. Costs are considerably lower than if you went right into a DSLR system. Yes, AF lag is ennervating. But once these thingies have focussed, lag is <i>very</i> short with most recent models. I bought a Canon Powershot G5 some days ago and find its response almost instant once it has focussed. Bokeh is just OK, however. For a review of the G5 by a rangefinder user, read <a href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/g5/">Jeff Spirer's review</a> in Photo.net.

You will be happy with the SD10. ISO performance much enhanced, battery arrangement better; and despite remark above, the Sigma Software is excellent and you can download it for free and check it out. Sigma EX lenses are as good as one needs and cost a wee bit less than the glass you are using.

Cheers,

Bob Reis

Photo.net really isn't the place to investigate the Sigma SD9/10 line of cameras. For that go to dpreview.com and imaging-resource.com and pbase.com. Look at the 1400 or so photos put up on pbase.com by SD9 owners and SD10 pre-production test photographers, print them out and compare the PRINTS with the prints from other DSLRS and then make your own decision. You can download the SIGMA raw software from Sigma and play with it on your computer yourself. Many SD9 owners will gladly e-mail you some of their RAW files for you to play with. Just ask in the Sigma forum on dpreview.

Photo.net really isn't the place to investigate the Sigma SD9/10 line of cameras. For that go to dpreview.com and imaging-resource.com and pbase.com. Look at the 1400 or so photos put up on pbase.com by SD9 owners and SD10 pre-production test photographers, print them out and compare the PRINTS with the prints from other DSLRS and then make your own decision. You can download the SIGMA raw software from Sigma and play with it on your computer yourself. Many SD9 owners will gladly e-mail you some of their RAW files for you to play with. Just ask in the Sigma forum on dpreview.