stephen_w.

In addition to filters, other than effect filters, I'm done with

straps. I just now (5-minutes ago) dropped my M-6 when the strap got

caught in my office chair. I've only dropped it twice since 1985

(including just now), so I'm not a klutz (GF dropped it twice). Now

the vertical RF is off a "bit" (no not sending it in). EVERYTIME I

drop a camera is due to the strap. At least when in the case/pouch

du jour that has a strap, the camera is protected when dropped (not

yet), plus the camera is not out for examination.

I don't personally know how you dropped the camera due to strap. It's a shoulder strap that means you should strap the camera on your neck. You might get the camera daggling and touch your chair, but how the heck you dropped the whole thing without yourself falling?

Don't blame the strap. blame yourself.

And how many times did the strap save you from dropping the camera?

I'm not sold on the sling. Looks like you would break several finders if the camera got

caught on something or if someone tried to steal it.

Personally I'm sticking with a strap.

feli

Steve: don't blame yourself, blame the strap. I gave them up 30 years ago, after discovering that there is no substitute for a firm grip. Straps are a royal pain in the a** and contribute nothing to picture quality IMO. When I use anything, I use a Tamrac pouch that just fits my Leica Digilux 1 (which I figure is more delicate than my M bodies).

Okay, so you don't use a strap. You gotta lay down the camera or put it back in the bag when you want to use your hands for something--like drinking a glass of cabernet, opening the door or giving your significant other a big hug and kiss. If it's in the bag, you can't get to it to grab a quick picture. If it's laying around somewhere, you could forget about it and step on it or leave it there or have it stolen.

I've broken several cameras over the years and every time it's happened it's been my fault for not paying attention to what I was doing. The only safe way to prevent ever dropping a camera is to never use one. I'll continue to use the strap and live dangerously.

When I shot Leicas exclusively, I felt that the wrist strap was the safest protection for the camera, both from accidental dropping and from intentional larceny. It allowed the camera to be a potential weapon, should the need arise. With my F4 and F5, a wide strap eases the weight on my neck, especially with longer lenses. I agree that with "big glass" the strap must be on the lens, and not the camera.

I like using the Sling with my Hexar RF. But I don't feel comfortable using the Sling with my M6. I find it difficult to adjust the shutter speed dial with my middle finger, because it is somewhat restricted by the Sling. This isn't an issue with the Hexar's thumb dial.

Maybe my middle finger just isn't long enough.

I think it's terribly unfair to blame the strap. After all, it's the Leica that is allowing gravity to over-power it. Send your M to anti-gravity school to avoid such problems. Of course, you might also want to attach a helium-filled balloon as its "training wheels" until it masters the anti-gravity trick. Another alternative is to send the owner to strap-management school (straps are really dumb, and can't be taught snag avoidance).

Sling owners are also encouraged to take tuck-n-roll training. Otherwise, the first thing to hit the ground when they trip will be the camera, just before it breaks their fingers. ;-)

OK, I�ve got a new way of carrying a camera. This may perhaps be my only significant contribution to the world of photography. A month or so ago I posted a query about wrist straps. William Pearlis suggested the following:

�One thing to try (if you're right-handed) is to use a wrist strap attached to the left lug (or wind the neck strap) around your left wrist, leaving your right free.

With just a little bit of practice, swinging a Leica M up, catching it with the right hand, and taking a picture is very quick and easy. IMX however, doing the same with a Canon 1v + Motor + 70-200mm is a different sort of exercise.�

So I tied a loop in my strap and tried William�s suggestion for a bit. Then, I tried hanging the camera off my right wrist, ran the strap across the back of the camera and cradle the right end of the camera in my fingertips, lens downward. Some weight is taken by the wrist, some by the fingers. It works great! I can walk around for hours like this with no strain at all. If you suddenly need your right hand you can just drop the camera and let it dangle from the strap. Also it gives the camera a very low profile, particularly to people walking towards you. The right end of the camera is tucked in your hand and the rest of it is angled down and away from approaching traffic. Give it a go, see what you think.

I ask for no monetary compensation and hereby give this technique to the world. ;-)

J~

I've always found straps very useful and the only practical way to carry two or more cameras, unless you're lucky enough to have some spare arms :-))

A trick I picked up more than thirty years ago is to wrap the strap several times around your wrist and Voila! instant wrist strap...

My M6TTL was also victim to a strap-entanglement fall. Now I primarily use the Leica wrist strap that comes with the leather Leica belt pouch. The sling is nice and small, but a bit of a PITA, as your fingers kind of get "trapped" in it. If I were going to do it again, I'd order one a little bigger.

OTOH, occasionally when I'm going out with one lens to a party or something where I know I'll need my hands for holding drinks, smokes, etc, I use the neck strap with the never-ready case.

Do all of you guys in the no-strap crowd always happen to be at a clean flat surface when you hit frame 37 on a roll of film? Or do you never hit 37? A strap over the neck allows one less thing to hold on to when changing film on the fly in a crowd or in an environment where you might not wish to lay things out.

Let's see... two hands, one camera, one camera bottom, one old roll, one new roll, people bumping into you as you juggle all of these things... No I'll keep my camera dangling from my neck, thanks.