SL 66 Vs. Rolleiflex TLR

nir_domany

After a few month's of searching I've narrowed my options to these:

1. A Rolleiflex SL 66 + 1 back + Zeiss 80mm f/4 lens = $1350

2. A Rolleiflex TLR with f/3.5 Planar 75mm = $570

Both in very good condition (the SL a bit better - age).

Are the prices fair ?

What would you buy ?

Why ?

i would (and have done so) buy the tlr: its lighter cheaper, more

robust, more silent, the lens is better, you dont have to spend

money on more lenses and its better at low shutterspeeds, i.e

you can handhold 1/15 or even 1/8 second, something that

cannot be done with the slr. invest in a better screen and shoot

away. (btw: the rolleiflex sl66 you saw is overpriced anyway)

It really depends on what you're going to use it for. The SL66 is much more versatile, with great macro possibilities (can't do that with the TLR), interchangeable lenses, interchangeable backs, etc. etc. It is also very heavy (difficult to handhold without the special grip) and it makes a lot of noise. The TLR is in every respects its opposite. You can easily use it handheld, a low shutter speeds as the previous speaker said, for street photography (because of quietness).

It's really best to have both, and use them for their specific purposes.

The price of the TLR seems OK, as long as it's in good working order. The SL66 is at least 50% overpriced, unless it's a "like nw in box" of course.

I would agree that the TLR is the better deal, but also that there are things an SLR can do that a TLR cannot. Personally, I use BOTH a Rollei 6006 and a Rollei 2.8D TLR. You could get a 6006 outfit complete for around $700-800 nowadays (or a Mamiya RZ67) , as well as a good TLR, for the price alone you are being asked for the SL66.

Funny that I thought "yeah I would want both" when I first read the thread. Having said that, I've gotten my feet wet in MF with a Rolleiflex TLR.

Can anyone comment on the general quality and reliability of the SL66, especially compared to 'Blad 500CM and Mamiya RB/RZ67? Does it use the same Rollei lenses as the modern SLRs?

I'd say that the quality reliability of an SL66 is comparable to an RB67 or Hassy 500CM. The problem is that, unlike those systems, the SL66 is a dead end with an obsolete lens mount and back interface, while the Mamiya and Hassy have lots of up to date optics, backs, and finders available. So you could buy into one of those systems, and not worry that if a body craps out from old age, you are stuck with thousands of dollars of suddenly useless accessories. And if you need an accessory for the 'Blad or the Mamiya, it will be available, probably either new or used without any trouble.

The SL66's are very finely made mechanical camera systems. Hanscrafted and "made in Germany", beautiful if you like this kind of thing. The mechanics are quite complex however, and the operation of the camera requires some care. Especially the film transport/shutter cocking mechanism: always transport and cock and only then remove or change the back. Also you should be very carful with focussing when you are applying tilt (it can break the focusing mechanism). In short, an SL66 is not nearly as fool-proof as a TLR.

You don't want to break an SL66 and have it serviced by Rollei or by a Rollei-certified repair business. I bouhgt my (second-hand) SL66E with a dealer and with a 3-month guarantee. After inspection at home, it turned out that the lightmeter wasn't working properly and that one of the film magazines had a defect. The dealer sent it to a certified Rollei repair business. Skip two months, and it came back, including a bill of around 580 euro (that's about 670 US dollar in todays money).

I think you should buy an SL66 (E/SE) only when you are an amateur, doing e.g. macro or portrait work (the camera is extremely suited for both). Definetely don't buy one as a professional camera.

And find someone who can repair it at normal prices if it decides to break down.

The other posters already mentioned that your choice should depend on your application. The SL66 is more versatile, including macro and other lenses etc., the TLR is the perfect camera for street and travel. I am not sure whether the SL66 is overpriced though - if the lens really is f/4 then it is the Distagon with central shutter which allows for studio flash etc.. In this case the price is as adequate as the TLR price, at least if the camera is in good condition.

You should really be looking at Hasselblad instead of the SL66.

UNLESS you want to use the Bellows.

For closeup with 'Blads you need extension tubes, Proxar filters or added Bellows.

SL66 accessories are more rare and more expensive.

Hasselblads are REALLY easy to find and the prices are really 'low' now.

I also own a Rollei TLR and love it. But you will obviously be limited to one lens and

you need Proxars for closeup.

jmp

I had a SL66 which I bought for $1400. That package included the body, WLF, 2

backs, 80mm HFT and 150mm HFT with a Maxwell screen to boot. All were in

excellent condition. Your $1350 price tag seems steep to me. The camera's

advantages are the close focusing available with the bellows and a small bit of front

tilt. The amount of tilt doesn't help a heck of a lot either since it's limited by the

coverage of the lens and the degree of actual tilt available. Other than that

Hasselblad will give you many more options with lenses and accessories in addition to

having leaf shutters. I wound up with a couple of Hassy's after selling the SL66.

Much better for my uses.

In my experience, the tilt of the SL66 is extremely useful and completely adequate for near-far focus in landscape work.

If the 80mm lens of the camera in question is f4, I would instead go for a f2.8 myself (but I don't use flash.) The lenses are available second-hand, but it is a "dead end" system. It's wonderful for closeup work. It's heavy, and for hand holding I find it awkward. There is no camera that's "just right."

I have a second body in case of problems

The SL66 is a very nice camera although large and loud. The TLR is smaller (though not small), quiet and relatively unobtrusive.

The SL66 lenses are first rate. The accessory hand grip improves the handling of the SL66 immeasurably. I never shoot without it, unless the camera is on a tripod.

I have two of the SL66 bodies. The first needs some work on the focusing rack. Still works well, but the default position is below center.

The second body is fine.

My first setup was the body, 80mm f/2.8 Planar, one back and 150mm f/4.0 Sonnar for $1,000. The second was the body, 80mm Planar and back for $600.

I've shot weddings with them (excellent, lots of contrast and very sharp) and tried some impromptu street photos. Nice, but there no way to be discreet with this camera.

The price is fair for the TLR, as long as the lens is in good shape. The meter might not work. If it doesn't don't be shocked. If it does, then consider it a bonus.

The price for the SL66 seems high, even for a non-auction sale. Should be no more than $1,000 and less if you're buying online.

• 7 months later...

I have three Rollei SL66's two bought on ebay and one bought at a dealer, they all have needed some repair of other. The dealer of course paid for the repair and therefore represented better value. The important thing to note is these camera's are just fantasic to behold, much better than my Pentax 67 (although the Pentax is more reliable and better lenses). Having a SL66 is like a mistress, and just like a mistress you only ditch her when there is trouble.

As for rarity of items for the Rollei, everything is rare but it all turns up on the net at some time, 30, 40, 500, 1000 lenses and all. The only thingh I have not seen is the Ring Flash.

Also on ebay some people take the P*** and charge more than the UK dealer price (and the latter is generally more than elsewhere in the world).

If you by one you will regret it, but then again you will not be sorry either.

David J

• 9 years later...

<p>OK, so I'm 10 years late to the party, but the subject matter really is of relevance today. Seems TLR prices have gone up, and SL66 prices down. I'm very interested in buying a TLR, but need to double check my finances before deciding what variant I can afford....2.8D, E, or F.<br>

I do want to say though, I registered so I could comment on this post: I really thought it was a German engineer joke.</p>

<p ><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=819401">Erik den Hartigh</a> , Nov 08, 2003; 03:51 p.m.</p>

<p>sorry, 'Hanscrafted' should be 'Handcrafted'</p>