Processing clip Marks of sheet film

gobo

Dear group, I use Fidelity 5x4 film holders, and have my Velvia sheet

films processed by various Pro labs.

The problem is that I always get my films back with small crimp marks

on the longest edge at top and bottom of the film.

These are about 5 dots very close together, and are within the

picture area. (not within the borders).

This obviously shows up on the scans / prining.

I guess the option os to re-frame at the picture taking stage to

enable a crop out, but has anyone else experienced this ?

The labs all tell me it is the norm, but would appreciate a second

opinion.

Many thanks

Graham, this is a typical example of the unacceptable sloppiness which seems to be the norm nowadays. I know only a few labs that do this job generally well. I switched labs in New York until I found a careful one. Personally I am not willing to make the compromise Frank suggests. Perhaps it is a good idea to make a blacklist of sloppy labs?

Leave a little bit of "wiggle room" in your composition (I find it's not always easy to say exactly where the edge will be when looking at the groundglass, so it's not na issue for me, especially since my lab puts the clips where the edge stops and the image starts).

Obviously, if the clip marks are ruining a nice composition just remove them digitally.

For BW many labs use manual process and they can use no clip attachment.

For E6 or C41 dev it's a machine dev, with nitrogen burst, a good attachment of the film is indispensable....and you have clips marks !

A way for no clips dev is roller transport machine, but this type of machine is not very frequent because it's very hard to have a clean dev with no scratch.

there will always be clip marks of some sort, unless you run it through a roller transport processor that dries in-line as well--of course, then there may be some other type of marks to replace your dreaded clip marks...it always cracks me up when people shoot "full frame" on 4x5, when you really need a little fudge room for handling before and after the process. there was an intern where I work a few years ago that shot like this, and it drove us nuts...never left any room to get a dryer clip on the film, or even to get a neg into a carrier...we had to lurk over his shoulder in the studio to get him to leave a 3/16th or 1/4 inch or so. you need that fudge room on the side, unless of course you never actually use the film for anything....

Thank you for all your comments, I am at least relaxed now I have found out that many of you have encountered the problem.

Due to the fact that this is my first year with a Toyo 45G and have never shot large format before this is a new learning curve.

I use 35mm, 6x7 and large format, but enjoy the methodical working with LF most of all.

I shall leave a generous border around the frame from now on, and thank you kindly for all your helpfull comments.

Graham (Kent) England.