"Wildlife Safari" in Oregon?

paul___

I will be driving by this "park" next week and was wondering if it would be worth my time, and money, to stop by and take some photographs of the animals. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations they can give me? I will be taking a usual assortment of lenses with me, including a 300/2.8 APO lens, matched teleconverters, and a beanbag. Thanks.

On my only trip to Wildlife Safari, I was using black and white film in a point and shoot camera, and I thought it was worth the trip. You can't leave your car, so it's not the best way to take pictures, but you can move through the park at your leisure, and it's rarely crowded. If you're there on a sunny day, and it's during the day, the animals will be in the shade an you'll have a problem with high contrast. It's not a bad chance to take pictures of "exotic" animals in a situation that isn't always obviously a zoo.

<p>

They do a bird of prey show there. If you get yourself in the right position, you could come away with some very good and very close shots of hawks, and owls, or whatever they happen to be showing at the time.

<p>

Have fun.

There's a walking wildlife safari on the Oregon coast, about 5-10 miles north of Bandon, I think. I might be wrong about the name of the town. Maybe it's Port Orford. Anyway, you can get really close to the animals although the variety is kind of limited and the scenery isn't the most natural-looking.<BR><BR>

I've got some examples of photos I took there at <A HREF="http://www.bigadventures.com/photo/oregoncoast">http://www.bigadventures.com/photo/oregoncoast</A><BR><BR>

The staff at this park will let you get really close to their babies if the park isn't busy. I had two baby bears gnawing on my friend's leg for a while but the buggers wouldn't sit still long enough for my rudimentary photo skills. Another thing to look for is pictures of children getting mauled by deer and goats as they enter the park with an ice cream cone full of animal feed. Quite amusing, if you're into that sort of thing.

dear Paul:

<p>

My wife and I took the kids there in early June. We loved every minute and managed quite a few nice photos.

What we missed on the first drive throuh we were able to see on the second. One ticket two drive thrus, not bad.

<p>

Hope you enjoy it>