Cameras that accept Yashica ML lenses?

steve_simons

I currently have a Yashica FX-3 that has been in my house for years

and I took an interest into it around 3 months ago. It's fully

manual, but I don't mind that, it's just that the film advance lever

is going on it (jamming) so it's becoming obsolete and I'd rather

spend my money on a newer body than getting the old one repaired.

The problem, though, is what body can I get that'll accept these

lenses?

The lenses are Yashica ML Lenses according to the manual, if there

are any other bodies out there that accept these lenses, that'd be

awesome. If there are any out there that I can buy and use, that'd

be even better.

Note: I'm not looking for another FX-3, I'd rather try and find

something newer or maybe even a converter so I can use my ML lenses

on a different, more recent camera system.

I don't know yashica/contax very well but that does sound right.

<br>...Just a silly thought...i wonder if you can use them on the AF contax body?!(The one that focuses by moving the film plane)

<br>Also i've read that the ML lenses (multi layer) were the better ones in the yashica line back then and some even said they were as good as the zeiss of the same era...dunno if it's true but it could be feasable.The japanese were really trying to prove a point at that time.

The winding lever on the FX-3 is notorious for malfunctioning. If it is slipping, you may try this simple fix.

Remove the plastic cap on top of the lever. You will find a very small screw that holds the lever to the camera. This may need tightening. On my camera the screw would loosen itself very easily and I put a dap of loctite on it and haven't had a problem since.

Might be worth checking out if you want to still use it.

• 2 weeks later...
If you don't want another FX-3 (I've had mine for over twenty years and it still works flawlessly) you could try looking for the FX-D, which has a rather better build quality, although you will be fully reliant on batteries. (I've been caught out and missed the shot of a lifetime - entirely my fault for not checking the batteries.) You might also try the earlier and stouter FX-2. The FR-I is another option, although it's notorious for its frame-counter, which is prone to failure. All of the manual focus Contax bodies will also take your ML lenses. The 159MM is very nice, especially with a winder attached, and I've used one of these for ages. You could also consider the 167MT or the RX, though the prices start to rise here. The Contax AX will also accept your ML lenses, though from here on in you may want to start thinking about selling off spare organs. This is an autofocus camera that takes manual focus YC fit lenses, and focuses by moving the film plane instead of the lens. If you go this route, you'll end up wanting to invest in Zeiss lenses, although many of the ML lenses are cracking performers.