For my canon d30 - PHOENIX or TOKINA 19-35mm lens?

ben_chernivsky

I need a CHEAP wide angle lens for my canon d30 I just got.

I need suggestions between the phoenix and the tokina 19-35mm eos

lens'.

I've heard the tokina is a bit better build quality, but others have

said they take the same picture quality. Any suggestions at all? I

can get the phoenix for $150 or the tokina for about $160.

Ben

You may have already considered this, but add $100 and you can have a mint, used Canon 20-35mm USM f/3.5-4.5 lens.

I suggest this because although the D30 is a capable camera, it is autofocus-challenged, and you need USM if you are to get acceptable autofocus speed. With either of your third-party contenders, you will have slow, noisy, autofocus, and miss a lot of shots as the lens hunts.

To me, it's a choice between spending $160 and crippling a fine camera, or investing $260 to turn it into a responsive tool.

Apologies for the broken record effect, but I will second (third?) the 20-35 recommendation. It is a great lense with fast AF and takes beautiful pictures. I bought mine S/H VERY cheap due to a rattle inside - had it repaired and cleaned for £45 and have never looked back! A good S/H example sans rattle should not break the bank.

One of my faves.

TC

While a little more than $160, I'm pleased with the Sigma 15-30 I have now had for three days on my 10D. It is a big lens and it is longer, wider and heavier than my Tamron 24-135. AF is fast and a little noisier than Canon's USM but quieter than the Tamron. My intended use is primarily for indoor shots and the 550EX flash covers the range nicely.

I haven't purchased the 17-40 canon yet (I spend enough on this so called hobby) but I will early in 2004. I am using the phoenix (same as the vivitar) 19 - 35 as a wide angle to hold me over. It simply isn't that bad. I have and use sharper in other focal lengths but my pictures are not suffering from the lack of sharpness as some will lead you to believe. For the cost of this lens it will treat you well.

The three pictures - Boat Basin, Broad Cove Beach and Gander River in my landscape folder are all taken with the lens and the first 2 have been printed at 11*16 digital and 11*14 chemically and look very good.

For the 260 canadian dollars 8 years ago I have had very good service from it.

I have a Tokina 19-35 that I used very little, then got a Canon 10D, and figured I'd use it a lot more, but still didn't test it.

Then the Canon 17-40L comes out, gets a lot of raves, and I'm about to buy one (I'm easily swayed) but finally grow a little sense and figure I'll shoot a lot with the Tokina, go to my local dealer (Biggs in Charlotte, N.C., great people) and ask to shoot some with the Canon.

Well, there just wasn't that much difference (if any) that I could tell once I Photoshopped them both. Will go back and shoot the Tokina at the same spot I shot the Canon, and report back, but right now I can recommend the Tokina, especially if price is an issue (as it always is for me)

Paul, C.G. Ouimet - thank you for those answers. And everyone else. I understand that Canon produces very good lenses, but I need to know from people who have actually used the lens before. Now I am debating between the Tokina 19-35 and the Sigma 17-35. The Sigma looks mighty nice for an overall lens!

Any suggestions from here?

Ben

Hi Ben:

I have played with the Tokina in the store, and I was not overly impressed with it. I just took a few samples shots to take back home. The Sigma 17-35 has gotten very poor reviews. Their 15-30 gets much better reviews. I would stay with either the Sigma 15-30, Canon 20-35 or the Canon 17-40.

Back when I looked at the Tokina, I ended up purchasing the Canon 20-35. I am happy I did. I have now purchased the 16-35, and at some point will sell the 20-35. I just don't use it any more. The 20-35 was always a good lens though.

For whatever it is worth, the Sigma 15-30 is a big lens. A friend of mine purchased it, and I was surprised by the size. The other lenses are smaller and the Canon have USM to boot.