Everglades in November

thomas_vanagt

November is not the best time of year to see birds. The water levels are still quite high. This usually has the result of spreading the birds out over large areas. Aside from that, you will definitely find birds, just not in the numbers or number of species that you would find between March and May. The weather is typically pleasant in November and the biting insects start diminishing a bit (at times they can still be bad). The scenery is still beautiful though.

It is virtually impossible to travel without a car. Everglades National Park is over 100 kilometers from Miami International Airport.

Some areas of Homestead (15 minutes by car from Everglades National Park) can be potentially dangerous so I would recommend staying in a motel on US-1. Some of the motels on US-1 go for around 45.00 U.S. per night, and that's about the cheapest you will find. A cheaper alternative would be to actually camp in Everglades National Park.

I agree it is pretty difficult for a photographer to visit the Everglades without a car. For the photographer interested in birds, my best quick-and-dirty suggestion is to take the Tamiami Trail (US Rte 41) west from the Miami area to the northern access of the Park, called Shark Valley. One can get ridiculously close to almost the entire suite of waders, usually excepting Reddish Egret, as well as Purple Gallinule, alligators, turtles, and more. The animals there are exposed to people all the time, and to a great degree, pay them no more mind than do animals at the zoo. Better still at Shark Valley is to have a bicycle, but that's one more rental item. Finally, a trip to Shark Valley also takes you through the Miccosukee Indian land; one of the most consistent places to see Snail Kites up close is along the levee close to their Restaurant (obvious on the road). Good luck!

Audie

Actually, November can be a great time to visit ENP. True, wading birds are less concentrated as compared to Jan-March, but there are more migrant birds and others, and still usually plenty of waders. I make a trip on Thanksgiving weekend every year (from central FL), and its often my most productive trip.

To me, a big plus of shooting in November is that I don't have hoards of photographers in workshops hitting me in the head with their big glass everywhere I go! In November, its much quieter, and still great shooting and bird watching. Scenics are great too.

Unfortunately, a car is needed. I also recommend a visit to Shark Valley in November, but the anywhere along Flamingo Road (including Royal Palm to Flamingo) can be very good.

Good luck.