Photographs or paintings on your walls?

gloria_hopkins

Hey all! Hope everyone is doing well and having fun.

I'm finally getting around to dressing my mostly bare walls. I've

decided on a few photographs made by other photographers, in addition

to a few paintings. When I had everything sorted out I was surprised

to find that the majority of photos I chose were of people (not the

friend-and-relative-snapshot type). I'm a bird photographer.

This made me wonder what other nature photographers hang on their

walls. Do you also like art or is it strictly photographs? If you do

like art, do you like nature-related art or whatever suits your fancy?

Thanks very much! Oh - if you have an online copy of your favorite

piece, please post it, I'd love to see it!

G

Gloria<p>People are often baffled when visiting our house for the first time. They seem to expect our walls to be groaning under the weight of all the pictures. Might be something to do with the fact that my wife is an artist and that I am an artist and photographer.<p>In fact there is hardly an image in sight. I�m not entirely sure why this is. Could be that we don�t like hanging our own work and that we are bored with an image by the time we have finished it and moving on to new pastures. Could be that if we are not prepared to hang our own work then why the hell should we hang the work of others. But really, I suspect it has more to do with a fondness for stark white walls.<p>However, if Mr. D. Hockney is on photo.net tonight, I�d be prepared to take "Pearblossom Highway" off your hands :-)

Hi Gloria,

A tour of my house quickly reveals my lansdcape watercolors hanging in most rooms. It seems I only do about 1 or 2 per winter now, and the ones in frames remind me to get busy and 'take it to the next level' (improve :). I have some other artist's watercolors (mainly women) on display as well, both for inspiration and because they're so nice!

I still haven't framed any bird pics, except in cards which we occasionally sell or make for presents.

Cheers,

Greg

I am very partial to Western Art for wall decorations and furnishings. I hang cliche "pretty" photographs (scenics and flowers) on dead space such as the hall and cabinet sides. Most of my photo pictures I intend to hang, I have printed on a canvas-like texture. Photos are not my preferred choice for home decor. I have my better pictures in ablums similar to table-top books.

Mostly paintings- watercolour and pastels in a variety of styles

from traditional to abstract. A very few of my photographs from

about 20 years ago which I keep promising to change but never

get round to it. Nothing at all from my recent work apart from a

couple of b&w my daughters chose for their rooms.

Gloria,

I have mostly landscapes on the hallways, shorebirds in the guest baths, some pen and ink's by a friend and some indian rugs draped over handrails and hung on walls. I really like the three dimensional stuff, especially the shorebird carvings I saw on Sanibel Island this spring, but can't afford them since I plow all my money into photography gear and trips. Oh, do have some antique duck decoy carvings.

In the photo nerve center where I'm posting this reply, the walls are covered with bridal and other portaits taken in a previous life.

You can see some of my best work at Stock Artists Alliance, or stockartists.com under my name.

cheers

The living room has two small photographs (of elephant seals) by me, but two large prints by southwestern artists (Dick Mason and Carla Romero, not that anyone cares) and a piece of folk art (rusty sun shape). The hallway and dining room have many framed photos of mine, though. I've always felt a little funny about hanging other people's photographs, as if either mine will pale by comparison or friends will assume that their images are mine, though I do have one image a friend gave me up in a different room. Strangely, there is a Cartier-Bresson print, but it was my wife's before I knew her...

I have several Elton Bennett prints (silkscreens,) a number of paintings in oil, acrylic and watercolor, and yes a couple of my own photographs. My photos tend to be relegated to the less-travelled nooks and crannies as the prime spots were taken long ago.

On my walls, some might expect a few nature photos, maybe some art, or dents from my forehead, but my walls are still bare.

I may eventually put up some b/w photos (nature and other) from others, but probably not my own stuff. I don't know art from high-priced junk.

<html>

<head></head>

<body>

<p>Gloria,</P>

<p>Our house has a mix of Native American art, paintings, and our own photographs (both my wife and I are nature photographers). We have a Pacific Northwest carving of a raven, pottery from Acoma, Jemez, and Zuni Pueblos, a hand made beaded "war club" with obsidian, copper cones, buffalo and horse hair made by a <a href="http://stonedge.com/">Taos artist</a>, a large Bev Doolittle print (<a href="http://www.bnr-art.com/doolitt/callingbuffalo.htm"> "Calling the Buffalo"</a>), a large buffalo skull, and several prints by New Mexico artist

<a href="http://www.dougwestart.com/"> Doug West</a>. We also have several photographs of distant relatives from the early 1900s. But, by far, the majority of the art is our own photographs--especially in the studio.</p>

<p>Cheers,</P>

</body>

</html>

<I>This made me wonder what other nature photographers hang on their walls. Do you also like art or is it strictly photographs? If you do like art, do you like nature-related art or whatever suits your fancy?</I>

<P>

Gloria, as you know, I shoot nature most of the time. However, I don't have a lot of nature photos hanging on the walls -- it's mostly travel photos (my own), and I have a bunch of them on the walls.

<P>

<I>Oh - if you have an online copy of your favorite piece, please post it, I'd love to see it!</I>

<P>

Even though I mostly have travel shots on the walls, my favorite is a nature shot (and it is on the wall, too) -- the herons at Great Falls I took a few years ago. It's posted here on photo.net and was selected for POW, back when there were fewer people on photo.net and POW wasn't as big a deal ;-).

As a sidelight on your question;some years ago I was designing a new research laboritory to house 150 scientists in a variety of natural science fields. Part of the design was the location of a series of 6 small meeting rooms. I proposed that each room feature a different important forest ecological type and that it be paneled and furnished with items formed from the typical wood of the region. I was able to secure the cooperation of the office furniture industry who agreed to create the furnishings. I also proposed that a series of paintings depicting the classic scenery of each region be commisioned and that the paintings themselves be hung in the main foyer with copies hung in the approriate meeting room. To make a long story short I was told that since the concept came from a scientist ,it could not be considered to be fine art and therefor not approved. It appears that only professional artists can concieve fine art

Thanks everyone!

Keith: I remember the brief exchange we had and I surely remember your watercolors. With both your wife and yourself being artists, I'd love to take a stroll through your house!

Greg: I'd love to see some of your paintings someday...

Bob: I like street shots a lot too. That's probably my second-favorite type of photography and I think I'm going to try it someday. I worry about legal considerations tho...

Bill: I went to check out your work but could see nothing but blank thumbnails and a big copyright symbol - probably my browser.

Brian: I *know* that heron shot :D Love it. Thanks!

Thanks very much everyone else! I'm intrigued by the 3D art that is on some walls. Great stuff - thanks again!

Gloria,

Sorry that there was a problem. If you click on the thumbnail, the larger image should appear behind the copyright symbol, and there should be nine thumbnails. I checked last night and only saw five myself so I've got to e-mail them and see what the deal is.

And thanks for letting me know!

bp<div>005nWR-14138884.JPG.aa7162b49252cba97c712900bbfe66d5.JPG</div>

Prints, seriographs, textiles, original oils & watercolors by friends, my own N.C., California and Southwest shots, some closeup stuff of various things, like architectural detail that you really can't quite tell immediately what they are, couple of Adams repros, this one great abstract oil-on-panel, and relief maps.

If it strikes my eye, it goes up, if someone visiting says it doesn't match, I smack 'em with bound copies of Martha Stewart Living, kept for that purpose.

I like little landscape paintings, pretty impressionistic, that go on shelves, tops of stereo speakers, etc. When you get tired of looking at them, just move'em around, no nail holes

This is an interesting question. The only things I have hanging on my walls are 2 paintings that a talented artist friend of mine made some 15 years ago based on some of my earliest photographs when I lived in South Africa. Above my sofa is a painting of a lioness copied exactly from my photo with a vivid new mountainous background, and above my mantle is an eland rendered like a Bushman painting only with a perfect likeness. As you know, I photograph mostly birds now, but I don't have any bird pictures of any sort hanging anywhere.

I haven't put away my slide projector in years (laziness) and it sort of sits permanently in my dining room pointed at a white wall with low reflection paint for whenever I really want to look at my bird photos.

What a revealing Question!

Back when I was single, I had no problem using my studio apartment as a studio. But long-since married, mostly Monet and Renior graces the walls at home. There are several of my landscapes at work. And frankly, I get a big kick when visiting friend's homes--most of them covet one of my landscapes and its fun to see where they put them.

I do have a great shot of Yosemite Falls over the guest powder room. I thought nothing of it, until one party goer yielded the suggestion that shots of running water made some folks, well, more fluid in their business.