furniture "portraits"

linda_pullman

I posted this question to EOS forum, but I think this is the right

place.

I have a chance to photograph furniture � mostly couches and sofas. I

am experienced in portraits but not in furniture/commercial. Please

help.

1. Could you tell me how to set the lighting? How many lights do I

need? Are umbrellas OK? Bounced or through? Do you know any links?

2. How to show the texture, type of material?

3. Is 50mm f/1.8 lens good for this? This is the only fix focal I

have.

4. Is 10D good for this type of commercial photography? I think I can

expect real natural colors, but am afraid of the sharpness. Would

35mm camera be better?

5. Any other tips?

Also I am afraid that USM could lower overall quality. Actually, the

pictured will be used for catalog not for enlargements, so maybe post

processing won�t be needed. What do you think? FYI, each item will be

photographed separately (and then cut off the background in PS).

Thank you, Linda

Funny you should ask this question today, because I've spent the last few days doing the very same type of shots, the only difference being that I photograph in a roomset to get realism and never have any problems persuading clients to forget about cutouts.<br>

<i>1. Could you tell me how to set the lighting? How many lights do I need? Are umbrellas OK? Bounced or through? Do you know any links? </i>Shoot through umbrellas will be OK if they're big enough but personally I've never seen any that are. To get directional but fairly soft lighting you will need large light sources. Personally I use two 8'x4' softboxes, more or less at right angles to each other. I also rely heavily on backlighting, for which I normally use a single light with a fine honeycomb. 2.<i>How to show the texture, type of material? </i>Depending on the fabric, I may also use a strong sidelight, either another honeycombed light or a spotlight.<br>

<i>

3. Is 50mm f/1.8 lens good for this? This is the only fix focal I have. </i>Yes<br><i>

4. Is 10D good for this type of commercial photography? I think I can expect real natural colors, but am afraid of the sharpness. Would 35mm camera be better? </i>I would use a professional digital camera or a 6x7cm SLR or a 5"x4" monorail - certainly not a 35mm. Your camera however, used in raw format, may give acceptable results. The problem is with capturing detail, not with sharpness<br><i>

5. Any other tips? </i>Tip 1. Take plenty of detail shots to show the benefits, not just general shots. Tip 2. Turn the job down and tell them to get a professional commercial photographer to do it.<br><i>

Also I am afraid that USM could lower overall quality. Actually, the pictured will be used for catalog not for enlargements, so maybe post processing won�t be needed. What do you think? FYI, each item will be photographed separately (and then cut off the background in PS).</i>Of course post processing will be needed.