Nikon EM with jumpy meter needle - any fixes?

birdy

I recently acquired an EM with a bunch of old photo gear, and

externally it is in absolutely out-of-the-box new condition. After

putting in new batteries, I tried using it but the meter seems to be

jumpy and erratic. Changing the aperture setting will sometimes make

the needle jump suddenly to the top of the scale, other times the

needle will move as it should, perhaps jumping and then returning to

what seems like the correct shutter speed. Sometimes a light tap

will cause the needle to come down. A quick check of the archives

suggests this is not uncommon with old bodies such as this one, but I

couldn't determine if this is either repairable, worthwhile, or

(hopefully) a quick fix. Is it a parts body now?

Sounds like a dirty contact - ISO dial, and AI coupling rings are the most likely culprits. The easiest thing to do is run it through the full range about a dozen times. That is, rotate the ISO settings through the full range back and forth. Then mount a fast lens (e.g.50mm f/1.8) and whip the aperture ring back and forth. If this improves things, but things are still jumpy, then you could get the camera serviced. Most likely just doing this will get the corrosion of disuse off the affected parts.<p>No way is this a parts camera!

i have an EM, i know what your on about.

firstly when "Changing the aperture setting will sometimes make the needle jump suddenly to the top of the scale"......... basicly its turned the meter off, just the normal half press of the shutter release will activate it again.

sometimes you can move the camera around and just watch the needle rise and fall, it's that sensitive. remember that the metering is center weighted. basicly, hold still and wait for it to settle.

this is a truely fantastic camera, that can produce amazing results. stick with it, i dont think you have a major problem, you could try to get it fixed, but is it really worth it? just enjoy your quirky addition, and learn to take an averge reading.

it's difficult to take a badly exposed image with the EM, because as long as its above the "safe" 1/60 , it doesn't matter. it will sort itself out. Expose a few films. make your decision then.

No one's mentioned the part where the meter behaves oddly unless there is film in the camera and it is advanced to '1'. Also clean up the battery contacts with a little alcohol and a rubber pencil eraser. But oxidation on the shutter speed ring sounds like your problem.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I think Robert's suggestions have helped improve things already, and Rob's explanation of what is happening makes sense. I think I need to be a little more patient. I am also going to try the second set of batteries. It is such a nifty little nikon I hate to see it not put to use. I'm going to run a couple more rolls through it and see how things are.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick follow up. I got two rolls back and the prints were very nice. I was using a 50mm f1.8 series E lens, and the results were better than I had expected, given my first impressions of the meter. Thanks to all. It sure is a sweet little Nikon!

• 3 years later...
I tried again to move the aparture / ring back and forth, and after doing this rapidly, was able to get the meter needle to register. It looks like dirt was the reason. i have the blue battery check model. I would like to know how to get to the wiper contacts> What is present when the lens mount ring is removed, will this expose the resistor surface to allow it to be cleaned with alchohol?

• 2 years later...

<p>I also was able to obtain a near mint EM. As I inspected it I found the film rewind knob was cracked. I googled parts for the Em with little luck. Anyone know if there is a replacement? Or can I substitute one off some other model?<br>

This one has a male screw on the bottom. It attaches to the shaft (female) on for the film rewind.<br>

I seem such a shame to trash this wonderful camera for a $10 part. Thanks for the great site!<br>

<br /></p>

<p>Ken, the EM is basically a disposable camera. Over the years I've handled more than a dozen of 'em and have never seen one that was fully functional. Every one had some flaw, something broken or not working correctly. Some folks are devoted to the silly things and will take pains to keep 'em running, but it seems pointless to me.</p>

<p>However, since the EM is often available dirt cheap (I've seen some shops toss piles of 'em in cardboard boxes on the floor for $1-$5 each), you might buy a couple more and cannibalize parts to make one functional body.</p>

<p>Or get an FG or better model.</p>

• 2 years later...