Yashicamat 124G slow shutter speed problem

pete_gregar

I have a 124G that works almost perfectly. Except in colder weather

the lower shutter speeds 1,2&4 seem to have some hesitation. Almost

like they are sticky. This problem goes away when the camera is above

50°F. Is this a common problem? An easy fix?

Since there are no other problems with this camera I would hate to

send it in for a full rebuild.

Because of this problem can anyone recommend a shutter release cable?

I tried the one from my Minolta SRT and it doesn't seem to want to

screw in all the way nor have enough length to engage the shutter.

thanks!

gregarpp@mail.icongrp.com

Funny you should post this, this past weekend my Mamiya TLR 55mm just "froze up" in the cold morning -- but worked in the warm house. The problem turned out to be oil on the shutter blades; your choice of the word "sticky" is 100% accurate. A dissassembly and CLA are required; not cheap, but still cheaper than a new lens.

I know that I should budget for a CLA on anything I buy used, but I'm just so cheap..... The other option, according to the repairman, was to only use it in warm months. But he assured me that it would only get worse.

Your problem is very common Pete. Any lube gets thicker as temps drop, but your Yashica should work perfectly in any temperature you can stand to take pictures in. There is no "simple" fix except to carefully pack it in a box, then pack *that* box in another one and send it to either Mark Hama or Paul Ebel. You can easily find their contact info in the MFD Digest archives, or email me directly. As for the shutter cable question, I also use a SRT Minolta (great, aren't they?) and all my cables work in every camera I have...you should take your Yashica to any well stocked camera store and try a few out; if none of them work, you have more problems. One more thing: The cable doesn't have to screw-in all the way to work correctly, two or three turns (with some threads still exposed) is normal. Talk to Mark, or Paul and get your Yashica working correctly.