Rolleiflex 3.5F Type 1 shutter/aperture interlock

mark_jones4

My Rollei has an appointment with Harry, but the shutter adjustment wheel has a little tab underneath it. It's hardly protruding but you can press it in with your thumb and than turn the shutter as required. You turn as you press. This allows for any shutter/aperture combination.

Hope this helps.

Mark: All F models will have an "F" in front of the serial number.

The 3.5 F1 does not have shutter aperture interlock.

Serial numbers on the F1 start at 2,200,000 and run up to

If your camera has a Rollei F&H logo on the top of the hood and

a slotted dedent on the aperture thumbwheel, and evs values on

the shutter dial you probubly have a later Model E.

If this is the case you ingage or disingage the interlock by

pressing the slotted detent on the aperture wheel in and turning.

I hope this helps!

Just to clarify this interlock issue. I've looked through some Rollei literature and the 3.5 F Model 1 came with shutter/aperture interlock and apparently from Model 2 on (or from 1960) interlock was no longer available, or so it seems from the pics of each.

Release tab is located under the left thumb wheel ( while holding camera in normal shooting position), and I believe it actually operates the diaphragm.

There is no way to decouple the interlock except when changing aperture.

The serial number of the first model does NOT start with the 3,5F. These model indications are later creations. My first model 2,8F and 3,5E3 both have these model indications but my 1st model F (the one with the interlock) does not and just shows 22024xx. The first model is the only F model that has this interlock. The interlock is removed from the 2nd model. 3rd and later on models have a different Compur shutter.

Siu Fai

I have used 3.5F models with and without the interlock.

IMHO I find the interlock annoying as proberly the original thread poster does.

My question would be is it possible for a technician to internaly remove any interlock links such that the aperture and shutter speeds are fully independent ?

regards David.

I responded earlier and suggested you may have a later E

model.

While looking through Artur Evens Rollei Guide noticed I

somthing interesting.

The 3.5F type 1 was produced from 1959-1960 while the 3.5E3

was produced from 1962-1965.

The E3 came with no meter but a T type meter could be

retrofitted later.

I am curious, is the book in error? or are many E3 models with

meters refered to as F1 models? Also note that the E3 has the

interlock.

Conrad, the F1 and E3 are different models (I have them both). The original F1 was the first model with the coupled Gossen meter. Compur designed a special shutter with a extra set of gears around the shutter to transmit the set EV to the meter. The F2 model has this same shutter but with the interlock removed. So technically, it is possible to remove the interlock but I have no idea what kind of modifications this transformation from F1 to F2 involves.

F&H was not satisfied with this special shutter with the planetary gears. Due to the extra gears, the shutter was larger than the standard 00 shutter, hence the increased lens distance from 43mm (E, E2) to 45mm (F)). They need to find an alternative to have the meter coupling included for the 2.8F (this is the reason why the 2.8F was introduced several years later than the 3.5F1). The solution was a extra set of gears outside the shutter and under the aperture dial. This extra gear allows the use of the standard Compur shutter and to be used for the 2.8 model.

The 3.5E3 was a modified F3 without the EV transmitter under the aperture dial but with EVS. So the E3 is the F3 without the meter coupling but with a EVS system that can be disengaged. The E2 is the E model with a removable WLF. Internally, the E/E2 and E3 are quite different. The difference in shutters (E/E2, F1/F2 and F3/E3) is the reason why the selftimer handle/knob are located differently.

Siu Fai

• 6 months later...