Air travel - new carry-on allowances?

mike_hardiman

Hi folks,

I'm flying into Boston to spend a day at home in Vermont

(photography) and a few days with family in Rhode Island for

Christmas. I've never traveled by plane (!!) before, so I'm not sure

what I can get away with in terms of lugging photo equipment aboard.

I thought I heard on TV the other day that new FAA rules now allowed

people to bring a camera or camera bag on board with them and it

would not count as their carry-on or "personal item." The source was

the Weather Channel's morning travel segment, and I've been unable to

find anything on the web to back this up. Does anyone have any first-

hand knowledge or experience?

Even so, is a camera bag still considered a camera bag should I

decide to stick my toothbrush and a change of clothes in there too?

Now, how about my tripod? Does this count as camera equipment,

personal item, or a carry-on? Will this even be allowed on the

flight? Heck, I can't even bring a saving razor even though one

could more readily harm someone with a dull pencil versus a Gillette

Mach-3... but in this fear-based society what I see as something to

allow me to take photographs may look to a security guard like

nothing more than a large blunt object.

I've done plenty of searching for answers, including this site's

discussion boards, but found mixed and outdated (pre 9/11/2001)

answers.

My flights are all domestic, flying out of El Paso, TX with a layover

in Dallas-Fort Worth... American Airlines for all flights.

Thanks for any help and advice!

-Mike

You can usually get on a plane with a roll-on suitcase and another large personal item, such as a briefcase or a camera bag. I travel alot, and haven't heard that camera's don't count; I wouldn't go overboard with that.

If you're going to Boston for a bit, you're likely going to be checking at least one larger bag, my recommendation would be to figure out a way to stuff the tripod in there. Then you can carry your camera and another personal item, maybe you want to take along a backpack with reading stuff and change of clothes (in case the bags don't join you in Boston right away.... it can happen). I think hand carrying a tripod all day through the airports would be too much of a pain... generally no real hand hold, awkward size and shape, etc.

Is there more that you are wanting to take aboard?

Good luck with you trip and take lots of good pictures!

David

Just got back from a trip. Yes, a camera bag is a considered a bag, ... and so is a fanny pack. I carry a camera bag, fanny pack and laptop briefcase and I have to put my wallet in my pocket and unload stuff from my briefcase to my checked baggage, just so the fanny pack can go in the briefcase. Once on the plane, I pull out the fanny pack and various items for it out of different parts of my briefcase and reassemble the thing. It's silly, really. Also, ... on my last trip I had to fly on a smaller jet for one leg of the trip, ... a Canadian something or another. They told us that new regs require that they check most of the larger carrry-ons. I saw people having their roll-on bags being checked -- these just did meet the limit of carry-ons. To deal with this, I think retro. Years ago we didn't haul on all this carry and run stuff. I just plan on getting there a few minutes early and checking anything that isn't fragile or film. It's not bad when you get used to it. I also am enjoying driving much more. (smile) Best wishes. CC

Mike, I fly in and out of boston all the time and use American Airlines. I typically

check one bag and carry on a briefcase with computer and a backpack with my

camera, lenses, and tripod.

They have never bothered me and I prefer not to push the 2 bag limit since I am often

llimited on time and do not want to miss my flight by being searched. The security

line is often very, very long.

My guess is if yu are a professional photographer and have an ID they will be more

understanding

There are two sets of rules, Unkle Sams, and your airline's. Unkle's sams changed. He now says you can have a personal item, a carry one, and a camera bag. Your actual restriction is the least of the two.

I flew business to Australia about 6 months ago. The airline allowed two carry ons and a personal item. Unkle Sam only allowed one carry on and a personal item.

The change would have helped me. However, in coach, the airline only allowed one carry on and one personal item, so for coach the changed hasn't changed anything.

I'm not worried about lugging the tripod around (I'm used to it)... I'm just afraid of exactly what you mentioned- what if the tripod and checked bag doesn't arrive at the same time.

I'm not actually staying in Boston. I'm immediately claiming a rental car and headed north to home (Vermont) for the day, then returning to Boston the next evening to meet with friends, then it is off to Rhode Island. It's the day in Vermont that I most need the camera and tripod.

Just as long as I'm allowed to bring the tripod as a carry-on and the camera bag as a personal item. I'm just afraid that at the last minute (as in, at the gate while boarding) they'll decide my tripod is a potential "Weapon of Mass Destruction" and I'll have to somehow leave it behind. I only need a couple changes of clothes since I have more at home, they'll easily fit in the camera bag providing that can still be my "personal item" and the tripod the "carry-on."

Yes, given your side trip to Vermont and need for the tripod, probably makes sense to carry it on with your camera bag. You shouldn't have any problem, at least 'quantity' wise. If it were me, and truly looking to avoid hassles as much as possible, I'd look for a box to put it in and tape it shut, shoot, even make a handle for it.

There are loads of things carried on a plane that way, and I think it would catch less attention that way. Hell.. wrap it like a present! ;)

Good luck!

Talk to the airline that you are flying, they can tell you their "rules." Aircraft type and passenger load may well mean they impose tighter restrictions than the Feds might. I haven't flown with a lot of gear in years but this strikes me as the time of year that minimizing is best. I'd consider packing the tripod and packing around it. The security folks have seen tripods before, it's just that I think that it's relatively inert and less likely to be thrashed than cameras and lenses, etc., so let it go in the hold. What I wouldn't do is try to wrap it all up and seal the package. They don't want to have to fool around guessing at what else may be in there with the tripod if it's at all confusing on the screen.

Dallas to boston is probably a big planr but the El Paso to Dallas may be a smaller plane and that may crimp your possibilities right at the start.

I am worried by the idea that there are places where you can charm your way onto a plane with prohibited items. I'm not really happy about all the restrictions surrounding air travel, but I feel that if the rules are applied accurately and impartially, we are all going to be safer.

I wouldn't chance carrying on a tripod. FAA rules state that you're not allowed to carry on baseball bats or ski poles... tripods sound like they could possibly fall in that category so I always check mine. It's awkward to carry it on anyway.

Well, in the end everything worked out. The camera bag was fine as the "personal item" despite being loaded with toothpaste, deodorant, etc, and a couple changes of clothes. I asked at the ticket counter if the tripod was OK as a carry on (with no bag- just a strap attached) and it was fine. Never had a single problem even with the "tangerine alert" ... or was that orange?

At both El Paso and even the much busier Providence airports, security was willing to hand inspect my film even though it wasn't 1600 speed or faster which took a good few minutes. They did this at a seperate machine so it doesn't hold up the line.

As for the camera as not counting as a carry-on or personal item, American Airlines still goes by the old rule.

• 2 weeks later...