How can i find out where a Camera or lens was manufactured?

rod_rodriguez

Companies keep this info on file. Contact the brand name of the product you are looking at. When I ship items to Canada; we fill out a the forms; and include the letter from brand X; saying that A was made in the USA; B was made in Mexico; C was made in China; D was made in Japan. This "origin of the item" has been a standard thing; even before NAFTA rules. You might get the runnaround; becuase alot of people dont know the customs and tax laws. If the item is brokered by UPS and others; they might be too making some money off of duties; that didnt have to be paid. The CANADIAN customes guys are the ones with magical rulle book; on the surcharge paid by non NAFTA goods. They have alot of codes for item types; and differnent percentages of tax paid; depending of the item type; and country of origin. The canadian custom guys go by the offical blurb from the company who makes the part; and not you or me. Sometomes these documents get stale; the object is made in the USA; and then transfer to the Indiar China. The made in China packaging and funky fonts point to a non NAFTA item; which is taxed.

Rod,

Where are you purchasing from - overseas or the USA?

If you are buying from the USA, photo equipment is DUTY FREE! CCRA does not really give a rat's *** about where the gear was manufactured if it is imported from the USA by an individual. I have purchased equipment made in Japan, Germany, the USA, etc. from US dealers / private sellers and it was all treated as originating from the USA by CCRA.

You will have to pay sales tax (GST or HST), and if you get anything shipped by UPS ground, prepare yourself to be "royally ripped off" by the UPS border bandits and their bogus "brokerage fees". Stick with USPS/Canada Post or Fedex and you will be fine.

Mike

Rod, you worry too much. It is hard enough to figure out where which part of what car/television/computer/... was manufactered. To pay customs on each screw separately as you say Canada does, would be lunacy.

Of course, nobody nowadays (excepting Bush) knows which country holds which corporations either nowadays. Daimler-Chrysler: German or American? Who knows. DuPont: American or Bahamian ??

Now, get your camera and shoot pictures, rather than fear rings around yourself. Cheers!

[Finally: I do not think that any cameras or lenses are being built or have recently been manufactered in the US or Mexico. So yours is a moot point anyway. (Except possibly for some wonderful LF cameras, maybe)]

Michael,<p>One small point of correction. Don't use Fed Ex to ship from Canada to the USA. They also use the duty broker pirates. I had an F3 shipped to me to look at. Declared value was $350. The border pirates wanted almost $60 US for "Service charges", even though I had looked at it and returned to Canada (using USPS). When doing cross border shipping, I suggest keeping to Canada Post or the US Postal system. The couriers are BAD NEWS.

I recently bought a nikonos and got charged 86.00 Canadian duty!!! and also a nikon lens. what gives. both times ups was used!!! also, why do Do some people refuse to use usps? I read some of the NAFTA and "Optical, Photographic, Cinematographic, Measuring,

Checking, Precision, Medical or Surgical Instruments and

Apparatus, Clocks and Watches; Musical Instruments; Parts

and Accessories Thereof

(Ch. 90-92)

1. A change from one chapter to another.

2. A change to any heading of this Section from a parts heading, or to any subheading from a parts subheading; provided, with the exception of a change to heading 9009, that the value of materials originating in the territory of either Party or both Parties plus the direct cost of processing performed in the territory of either Party or both Parties constitute not less than 50 percent of the value of the goods when exported to the territory of the other Party.

3. A change to any heading within the group 9005-9032 from any other heading (including another heading within that group), except that a change from a parts heading shall be subject to rule 2 of this Section.

4. Notwithstanding rule 2, goods subject to classification within headings 9101-9107 shall be treated as products of the country in which the movement subject to classification under headings 9108-9110 was produced.

5. A change to headings 9108-9113 from any other heading, including another heading within that group; provided, that the value of materials originating in the territory of either Party or both Parties plus the direct cost of processing performed in the territory of either Party or both Parties constitute not less than 50 percent of the value of the goods when exported to the territory of the other Party.

Section XIX

what do you think?

<i>"well, i check again whether or not i was charged dddduty...i was not. what i was charged was a brokerage fee of 48.00 dollars pluss taxes. is this fair?"</i></p>

Well, if those items had been shipped via USPS/Canada Post, you would have only been charged a fee of <b>$5.00</b> plus taxes. Of course it is not fair - in fact the fees that UPS charges to clear customs are blatantly outrageous, and vary so widely from shipment to shipment as to seem to have no rhyme or reason. Why should it cost $30 in "brokerage fees" to clear one item, but $70 to clear the next?! The procedure is the same, presumably the paperwork to be filed is the same. Consider it a lesson learned, like I have, and avoid UPS like the plague in future. I now simply refuse to buy from any seller that only offers UPS as a shipping option</p>

<i>"I believed the "myth of photo goods being duty free"; until we ordered 550 dollar worth of paper from a Canadian dealer; and got hit with about a 78 dollar brokerage fee; because the paper was not from Canada; but made across the big pond.</i></p>

Kelly - you may have misread my response. I am in Canada. Since NAFTA, I have never been charged duty on photo equipment coming <u>FROM</u> the USA and shipped <u>TO</u> Canada. That includes new and used equipment originally manufactured in the USA, Japan, Germany, etc. It has all been classified by CCRA as "9010909090, Photographic Equipment" or "9006919000, Cameras - parts/accessories". I have always had to pay taxes, but never duty.</p>

I have purchased photo equipment overseas (Australia in one case), and I was charged taxes <u>and</u> duty on that item. Identical items shipped from the USA were duty free.</p>

I'm not sure if either CCRA or US Customs would consider photo paper as photo "equipment". :-)</p>

Mike