Cheapest/best place to buy a new D100?

brandonhamilton

B&H or Adorama in NYC. The only place to buy anything anymore. Although I've heard good things about 17th St. Photo as well (als in NYC).

I've mail ordered and personally boought gear at B&H and Adorama, and have been nothing short of delighted by them. They are worth the extra few bucks.

" They are worth the extra few bucks."

If we consider that an item should come with everything that the manufacturer

includes in the orignal package, then there is no reason to trade with businesses that

offer a low-ball price, only to individually charge for everything that reputable dealers

include at no additional cost. SO, there are no legitimate "extra few bucks."

Brandon,

I just love your quest for the "cheapest" and (assumingly at the same time, the "best place" to buy so and so.

I am sure you are no moron and realize that this is mutually exclusive: even simply good service, let alone the best, has its price, so the "best" one will not be the cheapest. And the cheapest Rolex watches are sold on the corner of ... and ..., right? Never mind precisely here where that is today, fly-by-nighters are just that.

What a silly quest you are on!

So, either choose a lousy company for the cheapest price, or settle to trade with a reputable one for a good service at a good price. But to ask for both at the same time, how impossible and how ridiculous!

Please think a little about these facts of the marketplace before asking others to sort these facts of life out for you.

Sorry, if I sound heavy-handed here, but such moronic contradictory desires crop up here too often to be always taken as lightly ... As the first poster on your answer list did, with a recommendation for a streetcorner type of service for a high price .. He was just joking you!

And maybe you would instead be better off to save a while until you can afford what you desire. Prices for cameras constantly go down as newer models appear. Of course, part of the joy of our cap. system is that then you would of course want the more fancy "NEW" camera afterall that you will likewise not be able to afford then ... Sysiphus rolling his stone up the hill, after the 8 ball all the time, and the credit card limit, slaving for material desires ...

Welcome to the grow-up, maybe, generation..

I got the run around so many times with the "dealtime" places listed at google. KEH even kept telling me "this friday" "next friday" (my other experiences with them have been great) I finally bought from Cameta Camera on Ebay. They had great responses from buyers and they delivered ontime without any hassle. The price was great too but I got one of those package deals. I'd stick with sombody you know and/or have heard about.

You may want to try Etronics.com -- last time I looked, they had the camera for $1399. I recently bought an F80 through them and found their service to be excellent. Keep in mind that their shipping prices are a little higher than some of the competition, but all in all, you'll probably find them cheaper than B&H and Adorama.

Good luck!

Brandon - I bought a D100 a week ago from Romo Photo in Panama City, FL [850-769-6276] for $1350 + $20 shipping (USPS 2-day, signature required, $1500 insurance - shipping cost was @27 but Ron did not charge me). They offered a few on e-bay, I did the research and bought directly from them - USA model. Camera arrived in two days and works perfectly and all items were in the box. See if they have any more. I'll also recommend B&H, Adorama and Photovillage. Photovillage might give you a discount if you buy additional items. Good luck with your purchase. I'm glad I got the D100 but now that I did I'm sure Nikon will announce the D200 in a few weeks.

try www.ritzcamera.com

I have bought a SB-28 flash and a F100 from them at a very good price and no shipping costs or taxes. Living in California, tax is almost 9% ..I could have gotten the same price at the actual stores but I would be hit for the sales tax. That be almost an extra $100 out the door for nothing.

I have bought from four of the places mentioned in previous posts - Abe's, B&H,

Adorama and Cameta (through eBay). I will never go back to Abe's for reasons stated

earlier - they are basically fly-by-night, IMO. Adorama and B&H are both top-notch

and have huge inventories, but I seem to get just slightly better service at the actual

B&H store (their phone service can be rude at times). However, I recently bought a

number of lenses from Cameta and have to admit that I was very impressed. Their

customer service is better than any of the other three resellers and their prices are

fair. They don't have the stock that B&H has, but they make up for it with their service.

They have a huge eBay presence or you can just order from them direct. One warning,

though - If you buy from Cameta through eBay, read the fine print. It's hard to tell

sometimes if something they are selling is refurb, grey or USA. If in doubt, email a

question. They will respond quickly.

I haven't bought from Cameta online but they have a really nice store in Amityville NY on Long Island filled with very knowledgable staff. Nice used stuff if you're ever in the area...much cleaner than the beatup stuff sold in the city for reasonable prices.

When it comes to photo equipment, cheapest and best are definitely mutually exclusive concepts. If you continually go for the absolute cheapest price, it is not a matter of if, but when, you get screwed!

I have been buying from B&H for many years and have never had a problem. I don't buy from anyone else, period. Fellow photo friends also tell me good things about Adorama, Ritz Camera, and Camera World.

" I have been buying from B&H for many years and have never had a problem. I don't

buy from anyone else, period."

Me too! B&H has never given me a reason to look elsewhere, and if I have a problem, I

can count on them to work with me to resolve it. Like Jeffrey, I know folks that use

Adorama & KEH, and they seem satisfied. Another great place is Amazon, for

scanners, printers, etc., they have a 30 day return policy, for ANY reason. But they

aren't exactly photo experts, so you have to know what you want.

What's this about B&H being "expensive?" My experience living away from the big city, in Ohio and in NC, is that the local stores will often look you in the eye and quote full MSRP without flinching. Thus, B&H is usually a bargain in comparison. I like to support the local folks when I can, but price outweighs local loyalty most of the time, especially if you are a consumer who has done homework, and therefore don't need educating before buying. I've bought a range of stuff at B&H, from a few bucks to high-end video editing stuff, and have never been dissapointed.

I shopped for my D100 endlessly. While I hate Shutterbug Magazine, it is a great for comparison shopping (it's at least 85% advertising). Also, check out eBay. There are some very reputable dealers on eBay (look for ones with >1000 feedbacks and 98%-100% positive ratings. However, in the end, I bought mine at B&H. The price came down to $1,499, but they just had a special for attendees at PhotoExpo Plus which lopped off an additional $99. That was better than anything I saw on eBay.

I agree with the comment about price vs. service vs. reputation. However, there are a number if high volume dealers (e.g. B&H, Adorama, Cameta Camera on eBay) that have solid reputations and low prices. You might find it somewhere else for 1% or 2% less, but you may regret it in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

"What about this site? Anyone ever dealt with them? ($1099)"

Well you didn't actually list a site, but at 26% cheaper than the reputable dealers, like

B&H etc., what do you think?

Folks that are looking for something for nothing, wind up getting nothing for

something. How many ways are there to say don't do business with low ball dealers?