LOAD HOLDERS in TENT with INFRARED VISION?

paul_skiba

I ran across this PhotoVision System on the web.

You load your film holders in a standard tent but you can "see" what

you are doing in the tent. The system includes an infrared

emitter/camera and a TV-like monitor. The emitter/camera looks down

from the roof of the tent and you watch the film go into the holder,

on the external monitor. System with monitor costs $160.

See details at

http://www.photovisionir.com

Comments on the usefulness of this system?

I am just starting out in LF and have no experience loading holders.

I will be using 5x7 B&W film.

Thanks

Paul Skiba

Paul:

It could take you as much as forty or fortyfive minutes to learn the correct technique for holder loading and during that time, the system you describe might be useful. But you won't need it afterwards.

A brief demonstration from an experienced holder-loader would be much more useful.

Well, it's cool, I'll give it that. It's also, IMHO, money badly spent. With that gizmo, you'll have additional setup time every time you want to load film, plus you'll be tethered to power (even if it's batteries.) When part of that system fails you'll be fumbling in the dark. OTOH, with a little practice you will quickly learn what's going on inside the tent. Practice with no tent, and your eye's closed. Open you eyes as needed when you hit a snag, figure out what went wrong and do it again. It won't take long and you'll be comfortable in the dark. And you just saved at least a hundred dollars, now go buy some film!

being both cheap and adventurous I didn't want to waste any of my new film when I first got started.. so I carefully read some instructions I found online (read them two or three times) darkened the bathroom and went to it.. Wasn't till 50 or 60 sheets later that I finally misloaded one... and in a year of shooting LF I've only misloaded one. <p>

Point is, (like everyone else's above) it's pretty darn easy.

The funny thing is they might actually garner some market if they decided to make some modifications and target it towards the "development by inspection" crowd - as it is, the TV monitor would probably fog the film, but with an IR viewer, it could work. Maybe that is unfeasible or someone in a conference room said "Hey, if we market it as something to help load film, we get a much larger segment of the market." Cheers, DJ

I would think that most films have some sensitivity to IR and that the emitter would cause some exposure. I've got an IR viewer and a huge "invisible" IR light source but haven't tried anything like this. I practiced loading with a scrap sheet of 4x5 with eyes open to get a feel for it then went for the changing bag. Only occasional problems with defective holders.