Imported Lens

raj_gj

If you're in the USA buying from B&H, the difference after rebate is $40. For me, this is a 'no brainer', and I would buy the USA version and get the improved warranty.

If I can save 20-25% on grey market, I start getting interested.

While I haven't heard of a flood of problems with AFS lenses, I consider the on-board motor one more thing to go wrong, and it weighs in on my decision to pay a bit more for a good warranty.

Right now, as Todd said, there's only a $40.00 difference between the grey market

and USA versions, after the $100.00 rebate. The grey market version isn't eligible for

ANY Nikon warranties, EVER. SO, you could buy the grey market version, and then buy

a Mack 3 year warranty for $39.95. BUT, for the same money, you can get the USA

version that comes with a 5 year Nikon warranty, that Nikon will honor. Your choice.

If you are in the US...GET the US warranty on AF lenses. There is that whole AF mechanism to consider a possible problem and for five years of service, it IS a no brainer. Same can be said for ANY newer AF Nikon body...way too many electric things to possibly be serviced (note...I have an F5 and F100 both US warranty and have never had a problem).

If the lenses were MF, and the $ savings were significant (28F:1.4...85F:1.4) then I might order Grey or buy used with a return policy.

BTW, I use the 35-70 2.8 Nikkor a great deal and it is a VERY sharp lens. With AF, I don't have a problem changing focal lengths...just keep touching the shutter button. This lens is great...not worth the weight of the 28-70AFS. OTOH, I use the 80-200 AFS and it is extremely sharp and silent, though huge.

Personally, I think the Nikon USA 5-year warranty has limited value. I have had 20+ Nikkor lenses that I purchased new. Only 1 out of those 20+ required warranty service in the first year, and only 1 other required service within 5 years. (I took that lens to Africa and its aperture diaphragm jammed in very dusty conditions, and that was 4 years and 9 months into my ownership.)

In other words, at least based on my experience, very few lenses would need warranty service after the first year but between years 2 to 5. So Nikon USA is giving us a "5-year extended warranty" that sounds good but costs them very little. Most likely we won't be able to take advantage of it and we are happy about that anyway.

However, the threat of not being able to get service from Nikon USA would resuce the resale value of your lens. If the price difference is $40 for a $1400 lens, it is indeed a no brainer.