OT: Can someone tell me how (T.F) this happened?

travis1

shot on trix on m4p 35 asph. Processed in hc110.

The words "Bugis Streets" on the building got reflected into the sky!

Not shot through glass or off a puddle. A straight shot. The other

negs in the same roll all seemed fine. Just this one.

Never seen it before..<div>005oq0-14170184.jpg.91c81bd4334493305931d7aaf7dd547d.jpg</div>

You should replace all your filters with B+W "MRC". This will *never* happen. All the old caveats about using UV filters for protecting the front element (against wipe-marks) went out the window and down the drain when B+W came out with the MRC's.

>>> In bright sunny contrasty days I have never had problems with double images.

On bright contrasty sunny days you don't have black areas combined with lights that are probably overexposed by seven or eight stops.

Ghost images aren't caused by diffraction. They're caused by reflection. In particular this one was probably cause by light reflecting off the film, traveling back through the lens, reflecting off the filter and being reformed on the film.

It's the filter. This is one reason I never used to use them except for color correction. Then at Jay's insistence, I tried the MRC's from B+W (till then I had always cheaped out on the non MRC B+W's or Heliopan's :) ) and, now I use them most all the time -- even in situations like this.

Cheers,

Look on the bright side, Travis, you got yourself a 'keeper'.

Technical glitches, when they do come out on film, become a

part of the photograph- sometimes (usually) they ruin it ,

sometimes (rarely) they make it better. In this case I think it

adds something. And when someone sees it and asks "how did

you do that thingy with the sign?" you can just smile sagely at

them. I like it.<div>005otp-14172684.jpg.5bb6a904fb0698f60b90bab9cc1c86b2.jpg</div>

This is clearly a hoax. The image has simply been rotated in Photoshop or some editing software, and then all but the center brushed out. The rotated image is exactly the same magnification as the upright image, and rotated around the center axis. That wouldn't happen with internal reflections.

Travis has too much time on his hands.

PJW

Sorry Sheldon, stone cold sober. How exactly does the filter reverse the image 180 degrees? And why is the reversed image only the center part, even though the lights on the edge of the roof are equally bright all the way to the end? That's a pretty neat trick, for a filter. Very easy though, in Photoshop.

PJW

I showed a similar situation a couple months back. I htinkit must occur (be visible) only in extrreme contrast situations,, but must be there lesss so other times. I am surprised that the asph had it as well. I can see no other reflection place except the back of the front filter.

It is NOT a photoshop hoax, it is not a digital scanner artifact. It is on the negative.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005D3d

Well, i guess I should wipe the egg off my face, and apologize to Travis.

Sorry Travis!

One point however. I don't see how this could be a reflection off of the film. The emulsion side of film is not a shiny surface. This has to be something between a lens element and the filter.

PJW