Which projector for 6x6 slides?

philippe_doll_

Philippe! I am no expert in MF projection, but since I am going to buy one myself soon, I have made some investigation on the subject. For new projectors, there are three 6x6 projectors as I know of. The cheepest is the Kindermann Diafocus 66T (1249 DM in Germany) it comes with a three element 150/3,0 lens. A dealer which I trust , dont recomend it, as it would not give justice to modern high quality slides. A friend of mine, who own this projector as well as a Hasselblad PCP 80 projector, tell me that there is a clear noticable difference in image quality. The second projector is the Rollei RV 66 Dual P ( 3298 DM with a Schneider AV-Xenotar 150/2,8). The rollei people I have spoked with, claim that it has more light output than the Hasselblad projector. It has multicoated condenser-system. Rollei have made three new "superlenses" AV-Apogon, the 120/2,8 is 1399 DM. The Rollei can take 35mm slides as well with a accessory condensor. The third projector is the Hasselblad PCP 80, and I dont have to say more than it is 8000 DM with a 150/3,5 lens. Personally, I will go for the Rollei with the Apogon-lens (2425 DM + 1399 DM for lens), I will trust that Rollei´s best lens would not dissapoint me. I will just mention that Götschmann ( A 6x7 projector) make a manual model with a very high light output ( 440 watt halogen-bulb), but I am not sure if you can use the 7x7 frames with it or if you are forced to use the 8,5x8,5 frames for the 6x7 format.

I have been using two Kindermann projectors for two years; a 66T and a 66MPC. It is a great dissolve projection kit, well worth the price. The complete kit was cheaper than a Rollei 66 dual P. It sure gives justice to my slides (taken with mamiya 6 and Rollei 6008). The lens is sharp and the cooling is very efficient, there's probably no other MF slide projector that heats up your slides less than the Kindermann. On the downside: I've got to admit that two projectors make quite some noise. For dissolve projection it takes a screen that is 2,5 meters if you want the whole image to be sharp. If the screen is smaller, the angle between the projectors will be too large and the depth of field will not cover the whole screen. Thus the image will not be sharp at either the top or the bottom. This problem doesnt exist with Hasselblad projectors, since they have shift lenses. The problem is smaller with Rollei projectors since two Rollei projectors on top of each other will get closer together than the Kindermanns do.

It takes careful positioning of a medium format projector without shift capability in order to achieve good sharpness. The depth of field of a 150:3.0 is very narrow. For sharp projection the slide must be parallel to the screen, which leads to the conclusion that the projector must be positioned at the same height as the center of the projection screen. If one fails with that, Kindermanns and Rolleis will not be anywhere close to the sharpness of a Hasselblad projector.

I have seen many Hasselblad slides being projected by a Kindermann 66T and the images looks very impressive, especially compared to 35mm slides, so the quality may be good enough and there is quite a big pricegap between Kindermann and Rollei. On the other hand, the advanced optics of Hasselblad CF CFI FLE, Rollei 6008 and Mamiya 6 lenses are top notch and very expensive. I realy doubt that the relative simple 3-element lens for Kindermann would extract all the potential quality out of the slides made by the mentioned cameras and lenses.