Rule of thumb for CLAs

andy_eulass

I recently purchased a used M6 and its in fine shape. However, the

seller couldn't tell me when it last had a CLA. Its fairly old for

an M6 but wasn't used much by the prior owner. Can you tell me what

a good rule of thumb is for when I ought to consider a CLA for it?

In 1968, when I bought my first Leicas, I asked Walter Heun, Manager of Special Sales & Services, for Leica USA, (now retired) how often, I needed to get my cameras serviced. He said, unless you do something stupid, or spend a lot of time in a desert or very dusty conditions, an overhaul once very five years would be enough. Happy Snaps, Sal

I once spoke to Don Goldberg and he was (as always) refreshingly-considering it's not in his best interest here-- honest about this. He told me that he's had M's come in that haven't been serviced in 40 years that did not require any parts replaced due to the lack of more frequent servicing.

Unlike watches, cameras do not run constantly, and the parts are much larger and the need for tight tolerances not as great. A Nikon F will gradually get a little sluggish once it's passed 500K shots or so, and will work fine even if it's been sitting in a closet for 20 years, unless it has been water-damaged or gotten a lot of grit inside. A Leica M shutter's slow-speed escapement can malfunction after as little as a few months of storage, and in any event a Leica will not be shy about telling you when it needs service.

If this is your only camera and you will be taking it on unrepeatable journeys, by all means have it CLA'd now. But be advised that even if the CLA is guaranteed for a year, that doesn't mean the camera can't possibly malfunction during that time, so some kind of a backup is advised no matter how perfect condition your one camera (of any brand) happens to be.

If your M6 therefore is working fine and the above caveat is not an issue, then I wouldn't spend money getting it CLA'd until and unless it misbehaves. And once it is CLA'd I would not have it redone prophyllactically unless it has been damaged or subjected to a potentially damaging environment. A good CLA such as from DAG will cost you almost $300 and you'll be without the camera for perhaps several months. It's not something I would do unless there was an indication for it, especially considering Don's comments.

On the one hand I tend to agree with everthing here...but. The IIIg I recently sent in (one of the shutter curtains seperated from the drum) had not been serviced in probably its lifetime (40+ years). The view/rangefinder is so much clearer, the camera so much quieter and silky smooth, that, whether it 'needs' it or not I will probably do CLAs every 5-8 years (Gerry Smiths recommendation).

I bought an M6 on eBay several months ago and finally got it to Sherry Krauter for a CLA. I am sure many of you will put me in the 'stupid buyer's club' but it turns out that it needed more than a standard $230 CLA, which would have been fine. Sherry told me that the meter - the circuit board and diodes - needed replacement as they almost always do on these 1980's M6's. I learned the hard way, since my camera cost me $1,000 and I now have to come up with 50% of that price to pay for the total repair/CLA. That's sort of ridiculous. Thank goodness I found that my M-Hexanon lens (the 50/2) was so affordable and so superb.

<<Sherry told me that the meter - the circuit board and diodes - needed replacement as they almost always do on these 1980's M6's.>>

Was the meter working when you sent the camera in? Maybe she has equipment showing that the voltage was flaky, etc. I have no idea since I don't know the first thing about electronics, but that sounds fishy to me...

I don't have a problem with a CLA but replacing a working part is another matter...