reacting, showing.

<p>

Personal thoughts about my own work as a (landscape) photographer -

may be food for thought for yourself.

<p>

As always: comments are welcome!

<p>

<a href="http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl">Wim</a>

Same problem Wim. The HTML you are using is faulty. As the screen is resized, the pictures are overflooded with text, which is thus partially obscure. You need to use tables to avoid this. I looked at your code, there are none. Example: (I am using - in place of <> not to confuse the forum's layout)

-TABLE WIDTH=515 BORDER=0 CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0-

...........place your text, pictures, etc. here with more TR and TD tags as needed

-/Table-

Good luck,

waz

Hi Wieslaw,

<p>

Working with tables is actually abusing HTML (although it works). I choose to do the style as much as possible in CSS - keeps the work on the site more simple.

<p>

You could upgrade your browser - or read the text from the source ;-)

<p>

I'll see if I can do something with the span elements.

<p>

Wim

One thing I've had to learn from doing large format is how ignore possible shots. It goes against what photographic books tell you, about being ready to respond to any and every photographic moment, but if it doesn't fit my photographic purpose, I've had to learn that it's not photographic at all- at least for that day- and I sleep perfectly sound with that knowledge. I'll set out the door with a certain itinerary in mind, as much as I like to shoot the stuff along the way, at certain point I realized I couldn't and still reach my destination. Early on shooting large format, I'd get boggeed down trying to shoot every photographic opportunity that happened my way and I'd never get more than a few blocks from my house. All last winter I kept going back to the same spots on that lakefront, because the way it froze and unfroze was exciting to me. I could always count on it being different. Since winter ended I been kind of deflated, becaused now it seems more the same during the summer. All the while I passed up other photo opportunities, because they just weren't photographic for me then.

I've had to learn to edit in my head, rather than on a slide table or off a proof sheet, and learn to accept that I might come home with only with only one or two good shots. I've had to accept the fact that I might not (and probably won't) make the right editing choice, and even if I do, there a good chance I'll make a technical error that a screw up everything- I shot color slides so I don't get a second chance without a 2nd trip. But I've also learned to concentrate and focus on the shots that I CHOOSE to work with alot more care and discipline than I ever lavished on my 35mm work- so I can be satisfied coming home with one or two really good shots.

I'm not quite sure why this is posted in the Large Format

Forum (in addition to all the other forums you posted it on). Using a medium format Bronica for landscape requires a completely different mind-set than a view camera on a tripod, or even a Reflex Graflex.

Hi Bill,

<p>

Good question. The main reason is that there is no such forum as 'philosophy and esthetics'. There is no 'landscape forum' either.

<p>

So I put it on the general forum, the nature (& landscape?) forum and the forum with a lot of landscape photographers - the large format forum, with a 'esthetics and philosophy' section.

<p>

RE: HTML. The web continues to develop. I don't use any flash or other gadgets, but I do use some of the more recent HTML developments. I think the internet users should too.

<p>

I never had someone from the Netherlands complain about my site, but almost all of them use IE5.0 or newer. The newest Netscape has no problem either.

<p>

Wim