omar_hilde

I am interested in getting into large format photography using a

trip to New York as a great excuse. I would like a 4x5 camera which

would allow enough movements for architecture while being light

weight and portable enough to make it feasible. My buget is $500,

so I know sacrifices need to be made.

What are my options? Is there a field camera that is cheap,

light weight yet flexible enough? Or how about a relatively compact

monorail camera? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I may well be the only one with this opinion, but for what you've described, I'd go for a monorail camera with a bag bellows. There are several options for good bodies that you can do for under $500, but doing it for that money with a good lens is harder. Don't forget you'll need some film holders, and if you don't have an appropriate one, a suitable sturdy tripod.

Consider renting a complete large format kit when you are in NYC, where I am sure they are readily available. Any NYC locals out there that can recommend a rental house? If you have access to a car, get a Sinar P2, otherwise try to find something lighter.

With a couple days of hands-on experience you will be in a better position to judge what sort of movements you desire, and what the large format experience may be worth to you.

"enough movements for architecture" is rather open ended. ANY shift would help with architectural shots, even if not especially wide angle. On the other hand, if you're standing next to a skyscraper, they just don't make a lens wide enough to put it on film (with the exception of fisheyes). So your needs could range anywhere from "very little shift" to "as much shift as money can buy".

For $500, you might be able to round up a monorail camera and a lens in the 150mm range. Just barely. But this is not the ideal architectural set-up. Do you already have a suitable tripod and light meter?

If you do buy equipment (as opposed to renting it), I'd highly recommend that you get comfortable with it before you make a trip to photograph. You could get a lot more done and avoid potential problems.

May I ask you a question? Why do you want ruin what might be a perfectly enjoyable stay in New York by suddenly taking up large format on a trip?

It's not that I don't think you should try large format- but very few people get competent images their first few trips out, and are usually confused about why tilting the lens forward doesn't magically snap everything into hyperfocus (I know- I was one of those people).

If I were you I'd rent a Fuji 6x9 with 65mm lens, take some really nice chromes, and enjoy yourself. Then go home get yourself a nice field camera and a good lens in the 135mm to 210mm range, shoot some landscapes- and starting pulling your hair out.

Architectural is frustrating way to start out large format on the cheap, particularly in an urban setting because the building are tall, the space is compressed- all which often dictates wide angle lenses even when you'd prefer to use something longer, and all of which tend to require plenty lot of movements, which require lenses with coverage and sometimes wide angle bellows. All of this equals money. In theory you could find a camera with good movements (an old version Arca Swiss would be ideal- though very incompatible with current models), a bag bellows, and f8 90mm (an Ilex-Calumet or a beat up Super Angulon) for about $700. But most people find f8 wides difficult to use initially, and it isn't an ideal lens to start large format with.

I'll agree with Mr Wiley and suggest to use the trip to check out as many

cameras as possible and play with them in the stores. In the meantime make

up a list of things that you will need and price them out ahead of time as well

as at the stores in used condition if found, or new for that matter. You know

lenses, meters, filters, cut film holders, check out light tents, loupes, tripods, in

general make it a shopping trip. If you find a "good" deal on a camera you like

buy it and a box of film. Once back home learn to use it unless you have like 3

weeks to fool around in NY and can't wait; I guess it all depends on how much

time you have there. If it's short trip just shoot what you got and enjoy. I agree

that architecture isn't the easiest thing to learn standing on a street in NY with

your head under a darkcloth using a loupe with a bag full of stuff at your feet.

For movements the more the better unless your just going to shoot

landscapes. Btw, there's a Graphic View 2 for sale in the classifieds for $300.

Why do so many Americans buy LF when IMHO there are no buildings there worth photographing? � Landscape!

But yes I agree that a monorail with bag bellows and a £1,000 Schneider UWA would be the ideal set-up... but, can you not get some nice shots form other buildings or, as Manhattan is an Island, over the water, without needing a great deal of movement?

If you are trying to take some pictures to please yourself, or for a portfolio, you can avoid the problems rather than confront them: If a client commissions you to photograph a specific building that is a different... er... beverage.

Get on to the right side of the Atlantic, and team up with me.

OT

Bob:

When I had been married to the same woman for 18 years she did me a favour and left me� but I hope to get married again next summer.