How does your MD-12 sound?

gilbert_hertz

Just got an MD-12 motor drive. It's a very good

accessory to my FE2 camera. I can hold it much

more comfortable when I have a big heavy zoom

lens. However, after I tried the MD-12, I found

it is a little noisy. The sound is crisp, though.

I guess it just sounds like this. Can anyone

confirm me? And how do you guys like it?

Thanks a lot.

Like you, I don't know if it is okay but mine sounded loud and raspy on my FM3A. It still winds the film on S and C though. Can be embarrassing at times when all is quiet and there you go pressing that release. Though I like the grip and convenience, I wouldn't use the MD-12 at a wedding ceremony in church though.

My MD-12(s) aren�t quiet but I�m glad they aren�t as loud as Doug�s :) I agree with Al they are too loud for a wedding ceremony. "The sound is crisp, though." --GH. I can agree with that.

I use Energizer L91 lithium batteries in the MD-12. This cuts the weight of a Nikon FE with AN-B4 strap and MD-12 from 1186g to 1083g. I have not used alkaline batteries since Ellis Vener had new alkalines leak in his F5. The L91(s) have a resealable vent and are advertised to be more resistant to leaking. In the US you can get them at Home Depot or Wal-Mart for $9.98 in packs of four.

I love the MD-12 except for the sound level.

Thanks for you guys' response. It seems the MD-12 does sound

like that. As a grip, I like it a lot. But as a winder, not

that much.

The Lithium battery pack may be a good choice for me, except

that it is a little expensive. Can I use NiMh batteries?

I guess so, even if the output voltage is only 1.2V.

Mine gets used mostly for railroads and automobile races. Can't hear a thing. If you listen to 'photographers' in movie and TV sound tracks, you're most likely listening to an MD-3 or an MD-12 no matter what is on the screen. Foley artists must keep them in their bag of tricks.

Yup, what Josef said. I recently saw a movie in which a Pentax K1000 sounded exactly like my FM2N with MD-12. Odd, since the "photographer" kept using the thumb winder despite the muffled ray gun sound of the MD-12.

But if Britney Spears can get away with lip synching her way through a career, I suppose cameras can do the same.