NW: The Best of British

paul hart

Good job that traction engine isnt a taxi. (Our local authority banned union flags and St George crosses from all public vehicles during the Queens Jubilee and World Cup 2002!) The union flag is VERY non PC and is widely perceived to indicate the bearer / wearer is a BNP or NF supporter, moreso with the St Georges cross! (White background red cross)

Sad but these traditional symbols have been hijacked, for the most part, by skinheaded thugs with racist motives.

The exceptions are those flags flown by large corporations or ministry buildings or the armed forces. Private use of the national flag is considered very dodgy in large UK cities now.

I regret this as, with no racist axe to grind, I cannot celebrate the English traditions of my culture in the same way a Welshman or Scot or Irish person can without arousing suspicions.

The English have a history of suppressing the Welsh, Scots, Irish (and many others in pretty much the whole world!) so they can celebrate their traditions in a spirit of freedom from our oppression. We have no comfortable way to celebrate Englishness without appearing aggressive.

Military pomp and Royal ceremony. Aggressive posturing.

Flag waving. Jingoistic.

Morris dancing. Downright weird and participants should be locked up.

Showing off old Rolls Royces. Painful cos you can just hear the Germans laughing at us now they own both Rolls Royce AND Bentley.

Fox hunting. Soon to be banned in most areas of the country.

Cream teas/pubs. Sold in areas of England where "Straw Dogs" (1970s film with Dustin Hoffman set in Cornwall) is like "The Simpsons" in comparison to the reality! (Try drinking in a country pub deep in the English countryside if you are not a local!)

Roger

Forget the "corrct" bit. When that auto was contemporaneous, the owner could choose whatever accessories he wanted.

BTW, those are NOT Marchal, I believe that they are another European

maker of headlamps.

I do remember seeing the blue center jewel in the lamps on a few

French and Italian classic cars.

Jerry

There simply is nothing finer than an English car. Well, when the English actually made their own cars... ::sniff:: Got to love the RR though, it's the only car that goes all the way to being opulent but stops short of being crass. It's an imposing car yet never obnoxious, unlike those hideous American tanks of decades past.

I think the photo doesn't do the car justice, though. Flat lighting, distracting background and the framing is a little crooked.

I don't think you English need to lament the inability to express your "Englishness" at all. You don't need to wave a flag or do a dance. In fact you seem to be more modest about that sort of thing than I would expect (e.g. coins and stamps don't have ENGLAND on them). Your history and line-up of great scientists, leaders and statesmen is unrivalled by most nations and will always inspire countless millions around the world. Celebrate on the inside (the soul), don't worry about the outside. Leave that to the flag-waving Americans or the insecure Australians.

Hey, don't worry, I love Australia but the people who gave us Winston Churchill must have something going for them. ;-)