Used Rollie for $175?

dennis ho

I've been into Adorama and seen that they are carrying used 3.5 Rollieflexes (no not

cords) starting at $175. what do you think? my thinking is that seeing as 1) it's

Adorama, and that 2) as far as i know a used rolliecord (much less a flex) usually goes

for around at least $3-400, it must be too good to be true (if it was some mom pop

shop i might be inclined to believe it a little more, but adorama knows what they

have). what are the things i should look for to check this (and any other tlr that i

might find) out?

thanks!

First of all: Rollei is usually not as expensive as it seems, there are some cheaper models outside and, as with Leica, a lot depends on the cosmetics.

<p>

I guess the 3.5 Rolleiflex has a Tessar or Xenar lens ? If it is one of the earlier Automat models, then the price is pretty much what you pay on german e*ay at the moment. I bought my first Automat in user condition for even much less, about EUR 100 and it is working fine. Planars and Xenotars are much more expensive, the cheapest buys starting at EUR 350 here in Europe.

<p>

I have never seen a Rolleicord to be sold for more than EUR 250, and then it was a LNIB Vb model. The older ones like the IV and III models are much cheaper, usually between EUR 70 and 120.

<p>

About the Adorama 'flex: Be sure the shutter runs also at slower speeds, check the transport (which means run a film through it) and check the lens (taking lens) for fungus and scratches. Also check if the front plate is parallel to the body. If that is ok, you can go ahead and buy it. You will need most probably a new mirror in the finder that brightens up the screen about 30-50% depending on the actual condition, and you are set with a nice working camera. If it even has a coated lens then that is a plus, otherwise do not care about it and use a lens shade - there is a difference between coated and uncoated lenses, but I really like my uncoated one on Velvia.

A while ago, a salesman there showed me a lens with a significant scratch across the front element complete with dust and other haze on the inside at regular market price. When I said I didn't want it, he tried for another few minutes to sell it to me before dismissing me and saying you want to buy new only. Later that day, I bought the lens (9 cond) from B&H for a hundred less.

Another word of caution. When you ask of a used piece of equipment, they may ask what the price is. Last time I looked for an E+ cond lens, they showed me one of lesser rating (fungus spots on lens) then later took out a better condition lens (still had black flecks inside, but no fungus) when I asked for another. I found out later on their website that there were two listed: an E+ one at a price I expected, and a VG one at significantly less cost.

I paid around $200 for a EX++/near mint Rollei 3.5 with a Tessar last year. I'm quite sure that good users could be had for $150-180. Just make sure that the focus is properly calibrated and the shutter is working properly, especially at the slow speeds. If Adorama offers a 10 day return or something similar, I wouldn't be at all afraid to give it a shot.

And BTW, used Rolleicords can easily be found for $150 or so.