mount a roll film back, but I am in doubt about which back to buy. I

read that the older Graflex film backs (the ones with the knob) are

not so great interms of film flatness, but I noticed that the RH-10

comes with levers of different colours : yellow and blue for

instance. What is the meaning of those different colours? Also, are

all Mamiya 6x7 backs compatible with the Graflok adapter, or do I

specifically have to look for Graflok compatible backs? Thanks for

shedding some light here.

Hi Conney. The Graflex RH backs are identified as follows; RH10= 120/6x7, RH12, or 22= 120/6x6, RH8, or 23= 120 6x9, RH20= 220/6x7, and RH50= 70mm, 6x7/50 exp. There is also a polaroid back, which is great, because it uses the full 3x4 format of the pack film, back extensions for close focussing, and a sheet film back with ground glass. The Mamiya backs (at least the older "pro" backs) will work, as will any backs that fit the graflok back, i.e., horseman etc. The RH8 and, I believe the 22 backs come in either knob wind or lever wind; knob wind=cheap, lever wind=good. When your body arrives, check the focus ring to make sure it turns EASILY, because if it is even a little stiff, it could become unworkable in the cold. Also check to make sure that the little plastic focus tabs are intact. They are vulnerable and fail notoriously. Until you get a lens, you won't be able to check the accuracy of the rangefinder, but you can check it for brightness and alignment. If there is ANYTHING wrong with the body, send it back. Bodies are routinely available on ebay, and a good one is essential to build a kit on, and a bad one isn't worth the price of shipping. There are very few repairmen who will touch one, and if they do, you might regret it. When you buy your lens, be sure that the lens# matches the tube#. They were matched at the factory, and if they've been changed, the lens might not sync with the rangefinder. All of that said, there are some really great lenses available for the XL, and cheaper than the same lens in another mount. A good example of the XL is a very versatile camera, with a full compliment of lenses and accessories, capable of tack sharp images, great in low light (fast lenses, bright finder), and easily hand held. If only it had a rotating back. Good luck, and enjoy your new camera.

Jay, thank you for your expert reply. It is good to know that lens

and barrel have to match - I will keep that in mind.

Re. the film backs again if you allow : I saw RH-10 backs with

yellow levers and others with a black lever. Does this have

anything to do with their age (production date) perhaps? Excuse

the dumb question, but do Mamiya 6x7 backs use the same

mount as the XL's? in other words : can you just swap a RB67's

back to an XL body and vice versa?

Thanks, Conny.

I hate to tell you this, but I think it is likely your body will be missing 1 or 2 of the

focusing fingers that allow the thing to focus. There are no parts, except if and

when you find this, there are occassionally people on Ebay selling focusing rings for

about $60 which someone manufactured for a short time. You would do well to buy

an extra focusing ring, and you should never remove your lens so as to prevent

damaging those fingers, nobs or whatever accidently as you remove the lens.

Mamiya Rb backs only fit on Mamiya Super 23/universal. I think a Horseman back

will work. If you can ever afford it, Purchase a Mamiya Super 23. Then compare the

systems. You'll start to like the Mamiya Super 23 better. By purchasing it in parts,

you will probably spend more than just getting a whole one.

Again, before you go further, check the focusing nibs to see if any are broken before

proceeding. Chances are about 70% they are and the repair is about $80 plus the

part $60 (if you can find one). I thought I would save you some trouble. You

probably got the body for $50.

Hi again, Conney.

I don't know the significance of the color of the winding levers, maybe there's something at Graflex.org. As for back interchangeability, I know for sure that the graflex RH holders will work interchangeably with the Mamiya RB67 Pro body, but I can't say for sure that the reverse is true (RB back to XL body), as I never had both systems at the same time. I use the RH backs with my RB regularly without problems. I hope that your body (camera body, that is) is a good one, and you enjoy what can be an excellent system. What other sytem will allow one to shoot 3x4 negatives (polaroid 665) with such a compact outfit, and such great glass? I still have my 58mm Grandagon from my XL outfit, and it covers 4x5 producing tack sharp negatives. The 80&100 2.8 Planars are also excellent. Good luck, Conney.

Hi Timber and Jay, Thank you for your replies. As a matter of fact I paid $150 for the camera, which is -I think- a reasonable price for its condition and compared to other XL bodies (sometimes wrecks) on *bay lately. If you like you can check out item nbr.2960625689 on the auction page or copy-paste the following line : <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2960625689&category=710&rd=1>

Of course I will only know if it was worth it when it arrives, but I have confidence in the seller. Now 'all' I need is a Graflok adapter, a film back, a lens and a grip... (oh boy, what did I get into? ;-)

I think I will go for a Planar 80mm, but I would like to go wider later (how wide can you go with a regular XLRF body?) : I was seduced by the DIY project on Bigcamera.com to modify an XL into a SW body, but the price of modern WA lenses with their own helicoid focussing mount is much to steep for my budget. Perhaps later. CONNY