South of France? Paris? Week of 8 November to 16

Hello,

I am off to the south of France (Marseilles, Cannes, Nice, Monaco)

for about 5 days starting next week... any places I should see (or

photograph) or any good photography exhibits any of you may know of?

Also, will be in Paris for the last 4 days of the week, any good

photo shows going on now?

Many thanks,

Phillip

I love Marseille, a real city as opposed to the overrated tourist traps more to the east. The Camargue is fantastic for birding and the wilderness and for clearing your head. A good Camargue landscape would, I'm sure, make an impressive and original picture, but it's not easy! I challenge you! Tarascon / Beaucaire is a pair of lovely old cities, one run-down and mainly Arab population, the other wealthy and white, like a posh suburb of Paris/Marseille, facing eachother on the Rhone. Have a good time, and good light.

Phillip,

the whole "Cote d'Azur" coast is absolutely wonderful, as it mixes in a very good way nice landscapes, nice villages, elegant towns and wonderful see.

If you appreciate also to visit places in the inner part of the region I suggest:

* St. Paul de Vence and Grasse close to Cannes

* Abbaye de Thoronet close to St. Raphael

* Aix en Provence, Nimes, Arles and Avignon, on the Marseille area

The latter are medieval towns, full of fantastic ancient and roman ruins and buildings!!!!!

Hope this helps. If you need further details or suggestions, pls feel free to contact me, as I love very much that region, and I know it quite well.

Cheers Elio

South of France in 5 days... that will be a worthwhile challenge.

- Aix-en-Provence (my old univeristy city). Beautiful scenary, especially at "l'heur blue" as the sun sets over Cours Mirabeau etc. A hike up Cezanne's beloved Mt. St. Victoire would provide a nice vista.

- Roussillion. A breath-taking old village which turns golden red at sunset since most of the houses are covered with the special red clay that exists locally (same red clay they use for tennis courts). I found some lousy photos of the city at

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/otroussillon/roussillon.htm which might give you an indication.

- Cassis. A must visit 1/2 hour drive east of Marseille. Small fishing village which now is more of a tourist spot, but still a bouillabaisse (spelling?) by the harbor...

- Arles is a nice city, but I rather spend time strolling the buzy port of Marseille, having coffee at Negressco in Cannes, explore Antibes rather than Monaco etc.

have a great trip!

<p>Be careful in Marseille.

<p>I know crime can happen anywhere, but be on the lookout for theft there. I know a few tourists who have had bad experiences with things being stolen there. Nothing violent, but certainly enough to put a damper on their vacation.