Help choosing LF cameras

laura_conant

Laura,

Our high school has only one photo course - by the end of the semester many students even know how to focus a camera! Though those white spots on the prints are a total mystery.

I intend on taking that next year, just to show that I took the class. I hung out there last year (same period as my lunch so I was there about 30 min a day) and by the end of the first semester was pretty much a second teacher - I never saw a problem in that class that I hadn't has myself.

There's also a photo club, which is essentially extra class time two nights a month to get darkroom work done (I've never dev'd any film there and stopped printing after a month. Bad chemicals, nothing's clean, and a gang darkroom just can't beat mine.). I just sit in the darkroom or whatever classroom they're matting in, give advice, and tell stories.

I'm about 99% self-taught (mostly from books and experience) and had never shot MF when I bought the Bronica, or even touched a monorail when I bought my 8x10. But I knew what I wanted, and it worked out beautifully.

Today I'm going to try not to do so much forum-browsing and get my homework done so I can actually do something worthwhile - maybe some printing.

Good luck!

I would not recomend the speed or crown graphics as you seem to have gotten used to some movements and there are bugger all on these cameras. The super is the way to go if you want to buy a graphic. I believe the toyo field cameras were based on the supers at least in the begining. I have a crown and I love it but I am going to have to buy a camera with movements one day. As it is I might regret buying the crown if I had not paid stuff all for it (less than the price of the 'roid 545i back which came with it).

• 2 weeks later...
The previous answers seem to have all the good cameras covered so I will talk about a tempting bad choice. I bought a CC400 for about $120 on ebay and a Rodenstock Ysaron for $40 also on ebay. I have been very happy with the results that I have achieved but since my kit is soooooooo heavy I have only taken about 20 sheets in 2 years. If I could afford a Tachihara or Shen Ho I would leap at the chance. My mortgage and student loan make that unlikely.

Laura,

I am French but not living in Paris, pity, otherwise I would go with you to the shop Large Format.

But Boulevard Beaumarchais is the place, you will find many photo shops around there.

You can get the Shen-hao in France go to this site :

http://www.galerie-photo.net/ it cost 990� + 19.6% Vta ( sic , that's what is killing us here....vta ). Send them a mail in English, I am sure they will respond.

All the best in Paris.