Help selecting a camera for a newbie

hansley_yunez

Hi, im looking for my first SLR. Here is a list of used units i

could find, in CND$. Does any package stand out in particular?

Which would be appropriate for a first time user? Perhaps just cross

out the ones that are overpriced? Thanks

*arranged according to price

-----------------------------------------------------------

Canon EOS 500N (Rebel G) Body

-- $120

Minolta Maxxum 5000 + 2 Lens + filters

-- $125 (negotiable)

Canon EOS 850 Body

-- $130

Pentax P3 Body + Lens

-- $130

Canon EOS 1000F (Rebel S) Body

-- $152

Canon 1000FN (Rebel S2) Body

-- $152

Canon XS/EOS3000 Body

-- $152

Nikon FG-20 + 50MM Lens

-- $156

Canon Rebel S II Body

-- $160

Nikon FG Body

-- $162

Nikon FM Body

-- $164

Canon EF-M + Lens

-- $170

Canon EOS 50 (Elan II) Body

-- $176

Pentax K1000 + 50MM Lens

-- $176

Canon EOS 100QD (Elan) Body

-- $183

Nikon N65 Body

-- $184

Canon EOS IX Body

-- $188

Pentax K1000 + 40mm fixed, 35-70mm Macro Lens

-- $200 (negotiable)

Canon EOS IX7 (IX Lite) + 35-80MM Lens

-- $217

Pentax K1000 + 3 Lens

-- $250

Canon EOS50 (Elan II) + 28-105mm Canon Ultrasonic Lens

-- $250 (negotiable)

-----------------------------------------------------------

im considering the last one, EOS50. i think i might be able to

negotiate a price of about $200. Or perhaps i should just get one of

the K1000 bundles?

Well, I have to go with the Nikon FG-20/50mm lens combo. This is almost the setup I started with (mine was just an FG), and it served me well for many years before I could afford to upgrade to an FM3A. I'm still using the body as a backup, and regularly use the lens.

The FG provides several different levels of automation, while still making you learn how to manually focus. Coupled with an AIS lens, you can let it choose shutter speed and aperture, just shutter speed, or do everything manually yourself (the best way to learn).

What 50mm lens does it come with? I'll wager a guess that it is the Series E 1.8. This lens is tack sharp, pretty fast, and inexpensive (so if you accidentally drop it you'll only be out ~$30.

As for price, KEH is listing an FG20 + Ser E 50/1.8 (grade: Excellent) for $200. So if the one you're looking at is in good condition, I'd say you're getting a bargin.

If you have some money left over (since the FG is $100 less than the EOS50), I'd recommend getting a Series E 100/2.8. This is a highly rated short tele. It is sharp, fast, and cheap. (I have one, so am not just spouting someone elses testing results.) Actually, all of the Series E lenses are generally quite good for the price. There is a 28/2.8,35/2.5,50/1.8,100/2.8,135/2.8 and 3 zooms I'm less familier with. All Series E are AIS, and would allow you to use the program modes of the FG. The 28 and 35mm are kind of hit or miss. Some are good, some are not. You have to try them out to know for sure. I got lucky with my 28.

You may get some responses to this by people saying the Series E are low quality. They are generally referring to the housing construction, not the optics. The housings are plastic, not metal. This bothers some people, but has never been a problem for me (although I'm not in the habbit of dropping my lenses).

I should add that while I described the Series E as 'reasonably fast', they are considerably faster than any zooms you're likely to purchase. (If you don't know, 'fast' refers to the widest aperture of the lens. The 50/1.8 has a widest aperture of 1.8. A zoom in your price range might have a variable aperture of 4.5-5.6, which means at the widest focal length the aperture is 4.5, while when zoomed it the widest aperture transitions to 5.6.) This is important because a faster lens allows you to hand hold more shots in low light situations.

Thanks a lot guys!

ADAM: I dont know the specifics of the lens, i can ask tho.

The EOS50 is actually a bit cheaper than it looks, i can bargain down the $250 and i can pick up locally.

CHAD: The Nikon does come with a Series E 50mm f1.8 lens, as well as a UV filter. What do u mean by coupling it with an AIS lens? I need a particular type of lens for full manual operation?

Would you say that between the Nikon FG-20 and the Pentax K1000 (both with lenses & about the same price), i should go for the Nikon?

<P><I> CHAD: The Nikon does come with a Series E 50mm f1.8 lens, as well as a UV filter. What do u mean by coupling it with an AIS lens? I need a particular type of lens for full manual operation?</I>

<P>Sorry to be confusing there. The FG has 2 different program modes. One automates only the shutter speed based on the meter reading while you set the aperture (I use this a lot for quick shots). This is also known as aperture priority, and is signified on the shutter speed dial by an 'A'. The second mode automatically sets both the aperture and the shutter speed, which basically turns your SLR into an expensive manual focus point and shoot. This is known as program mode, and is specified by a 'P'. You need an AIS lens to use program mode. To use the aperture priority mode, you just need an AI lens. All of the Series E lenses that I recommended are AIS, and they were released at about the same time as the FG. In all honesty, you probably (read, hopefully) won't be using the P mode. You can still learn quite a bit from using the A mode because you control depth of field (it's no different from a fully manual camera where you set the shutter based on the internal meter reading). If you want to learn the most, get a light meter and go fully manual. Since the FG can do all of these, I think it is a great camera.

<P>One more plug for the Series E prime lenses is that they are all 52mm in diameter. So any filters you get will be interchangable and you won't have to mess with step rings or different diameter filters. By the time you've progressed to the point where the Series E are no longer adequate for you, you'll probably be spending enough and have so much gear that multiple filter sizes is no biggy. But initially, it's just one more thing you won't have to worry about.

<P>Also, I love primes. My zooms just sit in a corner and are not used. Primes are smaller, lighter, and make you think a lot more about each shot. You can't just 'zoom' to the correct focal length and take the shot from where you are standing. Instead, you might have to walk a few feet. In my opinion, a system that makes you really think about how to take each exposure (ie. focus, aperture, shutter speed, focal length) is the way to really learn about photography.

<P>Would you say that between the Nikon FG-20 and the Pentax K1000 (both with lenses & about the same price), i should go for the Nikon?</I>

<P>Being a Nikon user, I'd like to say something like 'Of course get the Nikon'. But truth be told, I know nothing about the Pentax, and it may very well be a better camera. That said, I think you would be quite happy with the FG.

I own a Rebel and a bunch of Pentax stuff and have had no problems with any of it. However, from your list, the Elan II & 28-105mm USM really stands out. The Elan has full manual capability to learn on and a lot of bells and whistles to keep you from wondering what all the whoopla is about matrix metering, autofocus and advanced program modes. The Elan has been around a while and has proven itself well. There are many favorable reviews on the consumer sites. Price sounds very reasonable too.

Pentax K mount compatible prime lenses are available on the used market very cheap, while EOS stuff is much more expensive. But the Canon 28-105 covers a lot of focal lengths and should keep anyone busy.

Good luck and happy shooting with whatever model you choose.

I have owned a Nikon FG-20 for 4 years and I love it. It has never given me any trouble for all the time of my owning it. The 50mm lens that comes with the camera is most likely the 50/1.8 Nikon Series E, the one that comes standard with the FG-20. The only unfortunate things about the FG-20 is that you cannot make double exposures and there is no depth of field preview feature. I find the 50mm lens to be very sharp and accuratly reproduce colours. I have tried other manual and autofocus cameras like Pentax but none seem to match the ease of use and good quality photographs from the Nikon. I bought mine for $150CDN which is an excellent deal on a camera, so $156 looks about right on the mark. Just be sure your model is in good working condition and you're free to go.

-Dominic

Hi people, i ended up getting the Canon Elan II, 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 USM lens and a polarizing filter for CDN$240. Do you think this is a reasonable price? The condition is pretty good, its about 2 yrs old and there are some signs of use, as would be expected.

The auction for the Nikon ended early though so i couldnt purchase that.