Location of scratch?

It would seem to me that a scratch on the rear element would have a greater potential for adversely affecting the image than one on the front element. The logic being that at the rear element, the final image has been formed. It would follow that a scratch on an interior element (e.g. on a lens where the front assembly is removeable) would be potentially more of a problem than one on the front, but less than one on the rear. Flare-wise, however, the reverse might be true. The position of the scratch, center vs. edge, is probably more of an issue.

The preferred location of a scratch, of course, is one someone else's lens. ;-)

Surely this can't be a relevant topic for the Leica Forum as we've all been assured that Leica coatings are scratch-proof ;>)

But if you're in the same parallel universe where I live, where Leica coatings can be scratched, and someone failed to use a good quality UV filter (such as a B+W MRC)and there is a scratch on your front element then its effect on the image increases the longer, deeper and closer to the center of the lens it happens to be. Multiple faint "wipe marks" will not affect sharpness or cause flare hotspots, but they will reduce overall contrast.

Scratches on the rear element (which can't be protected with UV filters on most lenses)are 100% avoidable, if you always quickly replace the rear caps, and change lenses very quickly, and shield with your body or change down inside your bag if the wind is blowing. But actual scratches in the glass anywhere on the rear element are much more serious in terms of loss of performance, though by contrast, faint wipe-marks are less contrast-robbing than on the front element.

I have a nikon lens with a scratch on the rear element (pretty long

but not at all deep - right in the center) and have never observed

any impact on image quality. I would think that the same scratch

on the front element would certainly make the lens more flare

prone; however, I wouldn't expect it to affect image quality

otherwise.

Rear element scratches are far more serious than front element

ones BUT... there are other important factors including the

location, extent and depth, SO... one cannot make a

generalization! UV filters and caution changing lenses (and

capping them ASAP are good habits that will prevent scratching.

has anyone used a scratched lens for a desired effect? or scratched a lens on purpose to go for a look? i've got an old zoom lens for my nikon that i was thinking of giving away, and am now wondering what would happen if i lightly sandpapered the rear element...any one here experiment with this?

m

Most all stratches are due to cleaning; ie caused by humans rubbing; fondling; scrubing of the surfaces in a circular motion.......Actually the worst lenses I have seen abused are on Rolleiflex's; where the f2.8 taking lens are really all abused; like the camera was taken to the beach; and then wiped clean with sand still on the element...........Sometimes dealers will swap out the front element only; from a junker; and the focus will be goofed up; and the collector/user will declare that his Xenotar or Planar is crap.........................Usually a rear scratch is more damaging to a lens; but a front scratch seams to drop the contrast...in telescopes; one blackens the open pits; that dont get removed when grinding a mirror......Blackening the scratch with black matte india ink will up the contrast of your favorite Leica lens; but radically drop the value! <BR><BR>it takes time to get the crud off; that gets cemented to a front element. Forcing the cleaning issue; but a too quick cleaning; causes the crud to scratch the element........This is like brushing ones teeth; while having a mouth full of sandblasting grit; and wondering why ones teeth are getting scratched and worn out....<BR><BR>

The closer that the scratch is to the rear nodal point (surface), the less likely it is to affect the final image. For a symmetrical design, the question is probably moot. More important is the location with respect to the optic axis. If a scratch really bothers you, the effect can be suppressed by filling it with India ink which will eliminate most scatter. I bought a 50mm Summicron with a light scratch on the rear element, but can see no deleterious results.

Generally a scratch on the rear element has as much greater an effect as the rear element is smaller than the front, as that is an indication of how much greater a part of the light is affected.

But on the front element there's more light hitting the scratch, which shouldn't be part of the final image, but is scattered into it by the scratch, so it will produce more flare compared with it's relative size.

Which of the two effects is the greater will depend both on the specific lens design and the conditions for a particular photograph, but on the whole, I think I'd prefer a scratch on the rear element.

(The final image isn't formed at the rear element, it's formed at the film plane or maybe focus plane is more accurate)