10d cf how to put pictures back onto card?

robin_brigham

Are you dragging and dropping the entire DCIM folder back onto the removable drive? It sounds like the camera-formatted card is attempting to install all the images into one block on the card and can only fit a few. Also, if any changes were made at all to the images, the camera will not adopt them.

Robin

Here are some thoughts:

1. are you dragging an entire folder instead of a picture onto your card?

2. Are you by any chance dragging edited pictures back? Are they jpeg pictures? Editing or changing format can make things bigger, changing format to bitmap can make things real big.

3. If you have your card in a reader can you show us what you see when you examine the card in windows explorer (windows) or file manager (mac) Use a screen capture (Alt-prt scrn then paste into paint) If this was Greek to you - sorry ask for clarification. If this was too elementary sorry also.

The way ive been trying to do it is

take photo (large best quality)

take card out and put in firewire reader

this opens "iPhoto"

import into iPhoto

eject card

format back in 10d to wipe all the pictures

take card out and put in firewire reader

this opens "iPhoto"

open cf card in finder

there is 1 folder "DCIM" which has another folder 110Canon

I drag the 4 jpegs from iphoto each about 1.6mb into 110canon

eject card

place back in 10d

camera says "no images"

Can anybody tell me the correct way of doing this

Robin:

Um, is this in a PC or a MAC?

When I use a card reader with a PC running XP or Win2000, the card reader is a plug and play "removable storage device". The card acts just like a hard drive, and can be accessed from explorer. I then "cut and paste" files to and from the card just like I do between a pair of hard drives.

I suspect no external software should be involved.

The title page (page 107) of Chapter 8 of the 10D instruction manual states:<p>"The camera may not be able to properly display images captured with a different camera or <i>edited with a personal computer</i> for image processing or changing the file name."<p>Perhaps simply importing images to iphoto and resaving them to the CF card qualifies as <i>"edited with a personal computer"</i>.<p>I've also read somewhere online that others have been unsuccessful when attempting exactly what you are trying to do.

Robin

I gather you are a Mac user. (iPhoto). OK if you are willing to talk to a PC user ;-) I might have a clue. I tried to repeat what you are doing with cannon file viewer on a PC. I removed pictures from DCIM/109canon. Somehow this managed to delete folder 109canon. Not realizing what I really did I put files into dcim/canonmsc. The camera could not find them. I took a picture. The camera recreated 109canon. I removed the card and moved the pictures to 109canon. The camera now found them. Long winded? Sorry about that. Try this.

After you erase the pictures on the card put it into the camera and take a picture. Try putting more files (pictures) from you computer into the file folder created by your camera with one picture in it. I'll bet that the camera will see the pictures, and they won't take up exceptional amounts of space. I'm willing to bet any amount of money - up to a nickel- you somehow put the pictures in a folder that the camera does not look in for pictures.

Hi, I don't have a 10D, but I had the same problem with my P&S, a Powershot A20. The only way to make pictures visible on the camera screen was the "save to camera" function in Canon Zoombrowser (which came with the camera software). I believe the camera must be connected to the computer to do this, so don't count on using a card reader. Just be careful to have al the pictures horizontally, otherwise they might be cut of. I also tried this with other images not coming from the camera and it also worked. Hope this helps.