Saving for Web Photoshop 7 rendering photos soft

When I scan an image and then save for Web my sharp print is becoming

soft. This is really frustrating. Sometimes my scans don't seem as

sharp either, particular from negs or slides. I am using a flatbed

canon with 1200dpi for negs and slides, 600dpi for prints and saving

for Web at 100% quality? Please help me as I am not computer savvy

and don't use Photoshop much as I use film not digital (yet).

Thanks in anticipation.

Amanda...correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't "save for web" turn your 600dpi scan into a 72dpi scan? Have you tried to save the scan as a tiff master. Open up a copy of the master tiff to work on (unsharp mask, levels/curves etc), and then save a <i>copy of the tiff</i> at "save for web". That way you end up with 3 copies. One, the master. Two, the 600 dpi uncompressed tiff that you photoshopped for printing. And three, the 72dpi "save for web" you email to friends or post here on photo.net.

Make a copy of the scanned image. Use Image->Image Size to adjust it to a suitable size for online viewing (typically something around 640x480). Use bicubic interpolation (in the same window). Make sure that the size is good by looking at the image on your screen - make sure that your zoom is set to 100%! Sharpen the image using Filter->Sharpen->Unsharp mask (if you don't know how to use it, search this site or the web)

Now you're ready to use save for web. When doing that, adjust the quality suitably (in the save for web window) before saving.