Rollei 6008i lenses

ken_niles

Hello, I have a 6008i and am confused about differences between lenses: PQ, PQS

and HFT (tho I understand that the latter is a coating). I'm looking for used lenses

that will work properly with this camera but am not sure just what "type" I should

be hunting for! Thanks for your help! Ken Niles

Hi Ken,

Check on www.globalrolleiclub.com, you might find any good info there from history of rollei cameras and lenses also comparation of old and current model.But for quick answer PQ is max shuttter is 1/500 and PQS is 1/1000 max, HFT I really don't know since I never use that lens but I guess it should be 1/500 also. For the price PQS is more expensive then PQ and last is HFT or EL I believe.Good luck with your new rollei you'll love that camera, and happy shooting!

Ike

In a technical sense HFT refers to the coating on all these lenses. In a

commercial way HFT is used as a description for non-PQ lenses. Rather

confusing. These non-PQ "HFT" lenses are older and are intended for camera

models rearlier than your 6008i. They will need stop down metering and

exposure, if I remember correctly. So the preferred lenses for your camera will

be PQ and PQS. The EL-type lenses are modern PQ lenses. EL lenses are

the Economy Line. They are made a bit cheaper: screw in filters instead of

Bay VI. Also the EL 50 mm Distagon lacks the floating elements (FLE) for

better close-up performance. That's about it.

Hi,

I would stick to PQ, PQS and EL lenses. I've read that the only difference with EL lenses is that they use screw in filters and use slightly different materials in their construction. The Glass is the same.

The 50 FLE is a newer lens which there are two versions; Zeiss and Schneider. The older 50 PQ is an older Zeiss design but it's still PQ.

I've also read that older non-PQ lenses, commonly refered to as HFT lenses, need to be upgraded as they could short out the motherboards on the post 6006 series Rollei's.

So this is how it works:

HFT: meant for 6006 and earlier cameras.

PQ, PQS, EL: Newer lenses. PQS can only be used on post 6006 cameras.

AF: Newest lenses for 6008AF

All lenses have HFT coating though. And they are thus marked in red next to the glass; HFT.

The PQS motors draw more current than PQ motors, which, I think, is the reason for the little red sticker ('fur 6008' or something like that :-) )...so you don't put it in a 6006 and blow the electronics/fuse. The EL lenses are supposedly made from some kind of nylon/composite rather than anodized aluminum. Also, I noticed some of the newer PQ/PQS lenses have black (anodized aluminum?) bayonet mounts vs. the older chromed brass bayonet mounts.

Using both 6006 and 6008 and both earlier non-PQ lenses as well as PQ lens on both cameras, I contacted Rollei Germany when the rumour came up that the earlier lenses were in need of being converted (new linear motor) for use on newer camera-bodies. The reply from Rollei were that this rumour were pure nonsens: all lenses can be used on the newer bodies with no need for any conversions. The exception being that the high-draw PQS lenses should only be used on the cameras specifically made the high current-draw of the PQS ultra-fast solenoid.

• 2 weeks later...

To summarise, there are four types of lens in Rollei - PQ, PQS, EL and non-PQ. HFT as stated earlier is only a type of coating that is patented by Rollei, i.e. more straightly speaking it is analogous to T* in Carl Zeiss.

PQ and EL lens supports all functions including Aperture-priority, Shutter-priority and program.

PQS supports all PQ lens functions + max. 1/1000 sec which is unique in lens shutter. However, it will damage the SLX and 6006 circuit when used.

non-PQ lens (some of them can also be named as Rolleigon, Rolleinar, Planar etc..., they can also be HFT coated) works on all models but will not allow Aperture-priority and causes longer delay when shot on newer 6008/6003/6001 bodies.

Hope it's clear now.

-Dennis