Hensel vs Photogenic

george_picklesimer

Hi folks, in my ongoing saga of lighting answers the decession to

go with flash instead of hot lights has been made.. FLASH WINS!!

Now, what system. For my budget of $1,000 to $1,250 I've found to

kits on B&H:

Photogenic

PH1250DR Kit - Includes: 2 Powerlight 1250DR 500 W/S Monolights,

Umbrellas, Light Stands & Case

More Info

Price $ 1,164.95

and

Hensel

Integra 1000 W/S Monolight Kit - Includes: 2 Integra 500 Monolights,

Umbrellas, Light Stands, Case

More Info

Price $ 1,098.95

Any one have any thoughts as to the merrits de-merrits of

these two systems? Appear to be similar to me. Thanks, George

George

I have not used Hensel so I can't comment. But I have used PHotogenic equipment for years, both their powerlights and their photomaster pack and head system, and I have been very happy with their performance and toughness.

Let me interject that I don't think you will be happy with just a couple of monolights. They are heavy and do not lend themselves to being placed on a boom or a small backlight stand. I am not trying to discourage you from getting a couple of monolights, but I highly suggest that you also look at a pack and head system to accompany your

monolights, so that you have a background light and a light you can put on a boom for use as a hair light or separation light.

I have used two powerlights and a photogenic photomaster system with two lights (one each on a small background stand and one on a boom) and have been very happy with the flexibility such a system provides.

Also, don't forget to budget in a good flashmeter (I can recommend a minolta V) and also a few umbrellas (I like the photogenic ones) and a softbox or two, plus some gobos and a few reflectors.

good luck.

Kevin

George, to make your choice more difficult take a look at the Bowens packages sold by Calumet under their brand name. Two 750WS monolights by Bowens + stands, umbrellas, case, etc = $999.99, other options available on their web site. Hensel is a relatively new brand in the US, and Bowens is considered a "better" brand than Photogenic.

George,

Kevin and Ed bring up some good points. I've used Photogenic Powerlights for the last 8 years. I have the older, all-metal 1500 models and a slew of Quickchange accessories for those lights. I too use pack and head systems as a complement to the mono-lights; an 8 plus pound monolight hanging over someone's head gives me the willies. The Powerlights have given me many miles of good service. The latest Photogenic powerlights are somewhat more sophisticated than mine, but appear to be comparably built. The Hensel equipment is designed and manufactured in Germany. I have examined, but not used the Hensel equipment. Hensel produces a high-quality line that appears to be aimed at the same audience that uses Profoto, Elinchrom, Balcar and similar products. Their monolights are certainly well made and the quality for the money appears to be very high. The Calumet/Bowens equipment is also well made and has become increasingly sophisticated. If you decide to go with two monolights, you have a tough decision ahead. Another consideration should be the accessories (grids,reflectors,...) available new and used for the lighting system you select. Photogenic has a very useful selection of accesories for the portrait type photographer. The Calumet/Bowens reflector selection is quite impressive. I'm not sure if the Hensel monolights use the same reflectors as their pack heads. If you will be shooting chromes, color temperature variation as a function of power output may be a consideration also.

In a way, your choice is like buying a car. You could get a well equipped Buick (Photogenic) or a Rover (Bowens) or an Audi (Hensel). The Buick won't necessarily have the understated panache of the Rover or the road manners of an Audi, but in the end it might just be more dependable.

Ive had my hensel 800 WS monolight for about 10 years with no trouble until last year. I had a short. easy fix. I have also had a photogenic verstron 800ws power pack system for about the same time that has not given me any trouble. Both are great I think it really comes down to what features you think you need. Actually my Hensel is my prefered unit because its lighter and easier to dial in.

• 2 years later...