suggestions for an ergonomic camera

darin_cozine

hello all

I am looking for my next camera.. I currently have a small amount of

FD gear but I am looking to move up to EOS. I'd like to find a

camera body with certain ergonomc appeal. I really dont want to have

to take my eye from the veiwfinder. Here is what i am looking for:

>multi-mode auto exposure

>aperture and shutter speeds visible in the veiwfinder.

>exposure compensation easily accessible.

>a lightweight but reliable body.

any suggestions? Thanks!

Ok i will add a few more details.

I've seen some bodies where the the exposure compensation is hard to reach when you are in a taking position. I would really like the exposure compensation to be right where my thumb will naturaly rest. I would prefer a rocker-button over a wheel.

Something else I use often is depth-of-feild preview. I would really like to have that option in my next body as well.

I am looking in the price range of 200-400$ Thats what I think I can get for my FD equipment.

Darin

I have been using the Elan series for quite some time and absolutely love it. Do yourself a favor and go with the Elan 7! And DONT waste your money on the 7e, the "e" variant is the Eye Control Focus (ECF) version, and I feel like the ECF is a total waste on a the Elan which only has seven focusing points anyway.

The Elan 7 is a wonderful camera and it has stout construction for its modest price. It has a rocker switch at the rear plus a dial around the rocker, a great combination, much better than even the higher end EOS 3. The compensation buttons are easily accessible and the controls are like a dream to operate.

The only thing I dislike about the Elan and any lower end Canon is the command dial, it seems so arcane and you have to turn it so far to access Manual mode, which is what I mostly shoot in. I wish lower end Canons would be more like their higher-end brothers like the 3 and 1v which stay in M mode even when you turn them off. They do this by using their great combo-button magic.

Overall though for your price range you cannot go wrong with the Elan 7.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

It looks like the Elan 7 is the way to go for me. The 7-point auto-focus seems a bit restrictive, but I am used to manual anyway. The controls all seem to be in good places, and it has all the features I am looking for. I will have to try it out at the local camera store, but I will have to sell off my other equipment before i can buy.

I am intrigued by the EOS 3's eye-control focusing, but I will have to wait until I get more cash. Then I can use the Elan as a backup. :)

Darin

I own both EOS 1v and EOS 33/Elan 7 and I have to say that of course I prefer the EOS 1v but it is true that in terms of best quality-feauters to price ratio Elan 7 is the way to go. On the other hand Elan 7 lacks of some feauters that I consider important, like 100% viewfinder coverage, real spot mettering and main dial control in the vertical grip. I guess for those things and a few more is why 1v costs so much and it's the pro choice. Don't missunderstand me, Elan 7 is a great camera, I love it, but 1v is better (if you can afford it).

Hope you find this useful. Regards

I actually find the 7/7E more easily adjusted with an eye to the viewfinder. With the click-stop knobs, one can be looking thru the viewfinder and adjust metering and exposure modes by turning a dial with just one hand.

The 1V requires pushing and holding a certain button (or combination of 2 buttons) and scrolling the top wheel -- takes 2 hands (not 1 like the 7) and IMO therefore more difficult to do without looking at the top panel's LCD (ie. with eye away from the viewfinder).

"The 1V requires pushing and holding a certain button (or combination of 2 buttons) and scrolling the top wheel -- takes 2 hands (not 1 like the 7) and IMO therefore more difficult to do without looking at the top panel's LCD (ie. with eye away from the viewfinder)."

Thanks Jeremy. Thats really what I am looking for (being able to control the camera without taking my eye from the viewfinder)

-Darin

There is admittedly trade-off you should be aware of... common consensus is that the 3/1V layout is the way it is to create both better weather-sealing, and to also help avoid inadvertently changing meter/exposure modes (you can't accidently switch modes with a 1V); both of which things make them appealing to "pros".

Exactly, as Jeremy said, the 1v and EOS 3's buttons and dials are the way they are for a reason. The 1v and the 3 use a layout that contains no sliding switches (or two position "flip" style switches) which can be hard to seal against dust and moisture. The power switch on the 1v and 3 is where it is for a reason and is very tight agaisnt the body to prevent dust and moisture also and it slides in a rotating motion so it can be sealed with an o-ring around the center of this (technically the only sliding) switch.

The button combinations on the 1v and 3 (the 3 is essientally the same externally as the old 1n) are great for most pros because you can just acidentally flip the metering mode or film advance mode by knocking your finger on a switch or something. I like the combos because they can remain in the mode they are in until you go back and change them yourself, even once the camera is turned off. Ergomically my EOS 3 is much more comfortable than my Elan 7 but the Elan has its obvious advantages and tradeoffs.

When it comes down to it you will just have to handle both and see if you are really willing to pay the extra bucks for a 3 or even maybe a 1v. The 3 has other enormous advantages for me which is why I bought it. Advantages such as near zero battery drain in bulb exposures and admittedly better autofocus in low light situations, not to mention slightly better flash exposure system for use with the 550EX speedlight which I love. Flash exposure is almost always perfect with the EOS-3 and 550EX, more often correct than with the Elan 7 and the 420EX. Nevertheless, you should look at both the Elan and the 3 carefully and make a decision based on your budget and how the camera truely feels to you.

J.D.