Sinar f 4x5 on ebay

doug_milton

Doug:

I got an f-1, which I believe is a newer, slightly better maybe? version of the f. I am really happy with the Sinar F-1. I bought mine from Midwest Photo Exchange and was very happy that I did. They can hook you up with anything you want and Jim is very helpful. My only advice, however, is that the front standard of the F and the F-1 uses a plastic latch to grab onto the rail. Mine broke a week ago, and after looking through the internet, this is rather common. That being said, I replaced the front standard with an F-2 front standard (uses the metal block on rail instead of plastic) for about $250 (from Midwest Photo also). If you can afford to get an F-2, go for it. Otherwise, I still recommend the F-1, just don't overtighten the front standard. My last piece of advice is to look for a used binocular magnifier instead of a dark cloth, it is so much nicer. To make a short story long, I do recommend it, but maybe shop around a little. Have fun!

My first instinct is that the price is too high. If you are sure that the front clamp isn't cracked, sure that the bellows is in excellent condition, sure that everything locks down tight it may be worth that much. If all those things were true you could probably make the same deal at Quality Camera or Midwest Photo and have a warranty and a known credible seller. Keep shopping. There are Sinar Fs showing up on ebay that sell for less than that.

Spend the extra money and get a Sinar F2...they go for

$750-$1000 on EBAY all the time. I have run over 2500

exposures through my F2...and I bought it used. For my work I

couldn't find a better camera for the price.

The F is rather "chintzy" feeling, and have sold in the photo.net

classifieds for as little as $400 with a lens and holders.

sounds very expensive: this price ought to buy a Sinar Norma- capable of using more or less the whole sinar-system but MUCH more solidly made. OK, it don't have the two-point focusing of the F & P, but is much more stable than the F and will certainly not break anywhere (except for the knob-handles the Norma is exclusively light alloy. brass & stainless steel). If You want a Sinar: save Your money for at least the F2 (much more stable front-standard bearer + focussing on both standards) - and then You are (at approx $$ 900 or so?) close to a used P - which IS a fantastic camera.... I have 4"x5" p/p2 combo, but an old Norma-set for 5"x7" & 8"x10". The Norma is FAR better made...

Good luck!