D30 prices

mikelaportfolio

A lot of people speculated that the price of this camera would drop

significantly after the release of the digital rebel, but this has

not seemed to be the case. What happened? Hah, maybe i am just

looking in the wrong places. Anyway, to my question, what price range

should i be searching for in a used D30? All responses are much

appreciated! Thanks

The price didn't tank because the D30 is still a viable DSLR, giving superb results under any reasonable lighting conditions.

To get the going price, watch the classifieds on this site, and go to the larger-but-vastly-inferior auction site and do an "advanced search" for "Canon D30" with the "completed items" box checked.

I had a couple of people offering me them for around $600 american. Just for the body. Another offered me one for I think $800 american with the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens, was a good deal but I didn't have the money at the time and didn't want to spend that much on a digital.

I sold mine for $1650 (a loss of "only" $300) when the D60 was in short supply. Then like an idiot I bought a mint D60 for $2000, which now might net me $900 assuming anyone would prefer it over a 300D. Only in the area of home computers does the term "disposible income" have the same literal meaning as with digital cameras.

I think that the reason some folks don't want to part with a D30 for peants is that they paid so much for it, so recently. Canon seem to be introducing each subsequent consumer digital SLR at a considerable price cut compared with the item it replaces. This is great for buyers, but not always for sellers, as in real terms, a D30 is not worth anywhere near the new cost of the 300D, but some shops, when they get them in as used stock, seem to be prepared to double the price, and put them on the shelves.

In fairness, I would buy a D30 as an addition to my EOS1n HS, as it would save me a lot of time and money in certain areas, but not until the price came down to around £300 UK. Otherwise, I'll just wait for the 10D to come down.

What did jay say wrong chuck?!They lose value at an enormous rate.

<BR>back to the Q: D30's haven't droped any further in price because owners are reluctant to let them go for any less.They'd prefer to keep using them.

<BR>There is also the issue of image.The D30 makes pictures that look...just different,and some people like that so don't want to sell.

• 1 month later...

Well I was thinking about the 300D but at about $2300 after taxes decided to get the D30 used (4000 frames) for $930CDN with 50mm 1.8 MKII and use the extra money for lenses and accessories since Im switching from a Pentax MZ3. I'm also bought it till prices of consumer dslr reach sane levels in Canada.

Arek

www.aperture.ca