Hérmes edition of the Leica MP

e.p_x

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fun to paraphrase that Fitgerald quote: 'The rich are very different than you and me; they're insufferable snots.'

One of life's many little paradoxes...We all work to have a little more, but there's ample evidence that at some point more becomes too much, and spoils us. Too bad Lyndon Johnson's "Great Society" initiative didn't aim to eliminate excess wealth, rather than poverty. The poor never have a sense of entitlement about their condition. :-)

shrink-wrap, my boy, shrink wrap. no joke, this stuff works great. you can buy the shrink-wrap kits just about anywhere these days. i use my shrink wrap leicas for dry suit dives up to 500ft. works like a charm. you just cut the wrap off to reload and shrink wrap again. god excuse for multiple bodies. for advanced photogs, look into the tinted mylar (pink and blue are the most common). these are great for filter effects. i've taken to using the blue wrap all the time to adjust the underwater color balance.

For that price you think they'd throw in a <B>FREE Hermes Leica Crank</B>, for that once in a lifetime occasion when someone actually uses the camera for it's intended purpose.<P><B>Intended purpose?</B> I wonder what that is, for a camera like this.

To Roger Michael:

>> shrink-wrap, my boy, shrink wrap. no joke, this stuff works great. you can buy the shrink-wrap kits just about anywhere these days. i use my shrink wrap leicas for dry suit dives up to 500ft. works like a charm. you just cut the wrap off to reload and shrink wrap again. god excuse for multiple bodies. <<

Surely you jest? A 500 ft dive generates a *static* pressure of over 17 Atm (>260lb/in2). I am dubious a camera body can support that kind of pressure. A Nikonos V is rated at 50msw. Most housings are good only to that depth. If what you say is true, I would be very interested in knowing a few details, as I'm a diver myself and have the need to replace my housing as the camera it is dedicated to is no longer available and it (the camera) was destroyed awhile ago. Specifically, do you use a motor drive or how do you advance the film? How do you focus?

>> for advanced photogs, look into the tinted mylar (pink and blue are the most common). these are great for filter effects. i've taken to using the blue wrap all the time to adjust the underwater color balance <<

But that's exactly the contrary of what's needed. Blue will compound the UW color (loss of red). Another q', on those 500ft dives, just what kind of illumination do you use? At 140ft (air limit) it's quite dim, barely enough for available light with a 2.8 lens and 1600 rated film. I can only guess that 500' is pitch black even in the most clear of waters. Also, out of curiosity, what air mixture do you use for 500' and what decompression scheme? I would think that this requires a diving bell and not a dry suit but a hot water filled one.

If you meant your comment as a joke, I beg your pardon but I didn't see any emoticon or other indication of such. OTOH, if you meant it earnestly, then pardon my ignorance about the issues I mentioned and please ellaborate, the scheme sounds very interesting.

I don't think I'll be ordering one. All my purchase decisions should be this easy!

However, I wonder if the chrome hood will be made available to us peons. It certainly looks more substantial than that plastic stuff they've been kicking out over the last few decades.

If it's not in the "equity loan" range, I might get one if available.

Best,

Jerry

>It will be interesting to see how Leica and Erwin legitimize this one with their flare for spin.

Easy:

"Instead of the (mismatched) coverings on your garden variety MP, this one sports sumptuous leather made by Parisian craftsmen in the signature Hermès colour and tradition. Note the battery cover which will surely inspire images you never even dreamed of."

BTW, the regular MP does not have mismatched coverings in its official print brochure. Another proof that someone screwed up instead of an "ingenious design decision" as claimed by certain apologists.