Birds in souther Florida in early December

beata_bubnowski

I have done reaserch on the subject, but could not find any

information on photo opportunities for early December (found for late

December). I can visit the enire southern region since I will have

about 9 days to do so.

Besides waders I am interested in raptors, but I am not sure if this

is a good time to go. If not, I am open for the second half of April.

I would also consider other winter months in Florida, but only if I

hear that early December should be avoided. Any suggestions for me?

Thank you for your help.

I have made one trip to florida in mid december and would avoid it if you have the option to return in feb-apr for a couple of reasons. Florida , if you have not been there before is an amazing place to visit no matter what time of year you go but, I think december is less attractive compared to other months. The plumages will not be full breeding plumage, so they tend to ba a little drab. The other main reason , is that the days are too short. You are very close to the shortest day of the year(dec 21) and if you like to shoot a lot, it is frustrating with only 8 hours of daylight(or so). If you have never been to florida however, you will enjoy yourself no matter what time of year you go.

I like late January, early February. During those periods, I can always go out and find something interesting. Also, the weather's great. You might get a cold front through with a day or two of rain but it'll pass and you'll still have plenty of vacation left. December CAN be rainy and cold but isn't always so. I'd rather take my chances from Jan thru Mar but I would not avoid Nov-May if I had no choice.

Even in times of slim pickin's, however, there are smaller birds and lots of macro subjects so if you don't see something big, look for smaller things. To me summer is better for landscapes. Heavy incoming clouds and lots of greeen are the reasons. It can get a little dry in the early to mid winter.

Mike

Hi,

Thanks for your help. Perhaps I should have said that I had visited Florida a few times, including early December, but at those times I was not into bird (other animals also) photography. So now I just need to learn about my bird photo opportunities in December. If not Florida, how about New Orleans area in early December(I could drive 3-4 hours either west or east from there)? This would put me in northwest Florida. Any suggetions for me? Thank you very much for your replies.

There are lots of nice scenics to be had (as well as some birds) within 4 hours of New Orleans. However, December is still a bit early for the birds in this neck of the woods. In Louisiana wading birds really start congregating to nest around March. This is also the time when migratory birds start coming through.

Beata - There are plenty of birds to photograph in south Florida in December. Many prefer the period of January through April for bird photography because wading birds are in peak breeding plumage and peak nesting occurs, water levels are generally at their lowest (so birds tend to congregate in smaller areas), and the weather is optimal. In late-March through April, migrant songbirds are passing through as well.

However, November/December can also be a great time to photograph birds. I have had some of my most productive and enjoyable outings during this period, often because crowds are way down, and there are still plenty of birds (including hawks).

So, if you will be in Florida in December anyway, photography can be excellent. If you have a choice, and don't mind the crowds, January through April can be spectacular, but other times are still very good.

Hi Beata: If you are in the southeast area of FL you should visit Loxahatchee NWR or Wakodahatchee Wetlands in Boynton Beach; the latter being my all-time favorite location for bird photography. There are tons of birds there at Wakodahatchee at time. For more info (map, bird and vegetation list), go here: http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/cnty/erm/divisions/stewardship/freshwater/wet.htm

Have fun! I know of more places if you want to write. But, I have to agree with most of the others, spring is a much better time in S. Fla. Gloria

Gloria,

Where is Wakodahatchee in relation to Loxahatchee? I'm surprised I've never heard of the place until recently. I live in the Fort Lauderdale area and have spent much time at Loxahatchee, but have never been to Wakodahatchee and would like to check the place out. Is it off 441 like Loxahatchee? Thanks for any helpful informatiom regarding Wakodahatchee.

Thank you all for your help. I decided to go to Florida in April. Gloria, I found the wetlands, and the place seems to be as good as you claim. I appreciate your input. Since I still do not know good places to observe and photograph birds of pray (eagles, hawks, owls, etc.), I will do more research. I like other birds and wildlife of course, but raptors are my vary favorite subject. Perhaps any of you have had a good experience in this type of photography in Florida?

Beata - Some of my favorite areas for shooting common birds of prey in FL:

Hawks - Payhayokee area of Everglades NP, Turner Road in Big Cypress NP, Ding Darling WR - red-shoulder, red-tailed, potential short-tailed.

Osprey - Honeymoon Island (Pinellas Co.) or Ding Darling WR.

Burrowing Owl - Cape Coral

Barred Owl - Corkscrew

Any particular species, or info on above, please feel free to email.