camera with the universal bellows. Do any of you regularly use a 72mm

lens on your camera? If so, are you able to use it on a regular lens

board with any appreciable amount of movements? Or do you have to use

a recessed lens board to have any movements? I am really contemplating

on my future purchase of this camera but I must make sure that I can

use my favorite focal length (the equivalent of my 43mm on 6x7) on it

without too much hassle. Thanks!

Hi Darick

I regularly use a 65mm on a standard board on my RW45 with no problems. The range of movements is limited more by the lens's coverage than by the bellows or camera. When shooting my landscapes, the 65mm has such a large DOF, that only minimal movements are needed anyway. HTH

Steve

www.landscapesofwales.co.uk

I've been using a 72XL on an RW45 a fair bit recently and it works fine on a standard board. It's a bit tight when cranking up the movements but does work. Just remember to drop the bed, othewise you will end up with a nice picture of the front of the camera on the bottom edge of your frame..

This might seem like a stupid question but as a newbie - by dropping the bed you actually mean using front rise to effectively angle the bed away from the FOV do you?

Would this be necessary with an 80XL Symmar??

(Have an Ebony RW45 kit on the way!)

Thanks!

Robert

That's a big help, thanks...so, how does one judge when the standards are parallel - is there a trick to it (eg some reference points) or is it a case of judging by eye (I suppose a spirit level would help).

(sorry to hijack this thread a bit!)

Hmm, I've just had a play. I was using centre tilt to align the fornt standard but with base tilt it is easy enough. I'm sure this is all basic stuff but a couple of pages with the camera would have helped!

Cheers for that.

Thanks you guys, for clearing this up. And Robert, your picture really made the final statement. Thanks so much! Say, what kind of tripod combo is that? It doesn't look like anything as massive as I would have imagined. Do you guys think a small hiking tripod like the Gitzo G1128 would do the job well? I'm getting the RW45 for the weight savings so I'm looking at everything that might help shave off a pound or two. Also, do you guys regularly use the Super Angulon without the center filter?

Darick,

The tripod in the picture is a Manfrotto (Bogen in the US) Carbon One 443 tripod (I prefer the lever locking mechanism to the Gitzo knurled knobs) and a Gitzo light low profile 'Rationalle' head. Ultra-light and ultra stable it is a perfect (if somewhat expensive!) match for the RW45.

Jeremy,

Rather than a spirit level, I like the "angle finder", a protractor dial with a weighted needle, set into an angular frame. It's more versatile, because you can use it to match an angle of the subject. E.g., you want to copy a picture hanging on a wall, tilting out a little. Take a reading from the picture frame, then transfer the reading to your back. The source I know of is Harbor Freight Tools, www.harborfreight.com, but you may be able to find it in your vicinity.

• 2 months later...