what to bring to tuscany

landdy

Beautiful place to be, and to photograph! You might consider viewing the Nikon School video on travel photography done by Bob Krist. He of course shoots Nikon and the whole video is about photographing Italy, especially Tuscany. This is a very well-done video that complements your plans. Bob's book on travel photography is also very helpful.

Definitely take flash for fill. Take a polarizer and perhaps one or two grad ND filters and a tripod. I was in Tuscany for two weeks last spring and took a 24 f/2.8, a 50 f/1.8, an 85 f/1.8, and a 180 f/2.8 for my Nikon F4. Served me well.

I was there in April and took an F100, a 17-35mm 2.8, and an 80-200mm 2.8. Those two lenses worked great for photos in the area. I wouldn't have wanted to skip the 80-200mm because the rolling hills and villas look magnificent with a bit of telephoto induced compression. That lens was also good for capturing interesting details.

Tuscany is a beautiful area - enjoy it.

P.S. I'll second the recommendation for Bob Krist's video. It's excellent. Here's a webpage that includes that video as well as his Spirit of Place book. Both include many images of Tuscany and are definitely worth purchasing.

http://www.bobkrist.com/index2.html

Not sure of your tolerance for wieght, but I cycled through Tuscany on a supported tour. I would recommend the following.

fe2 with black/white print film(cn400) and 24/2.8 (I guess you could put the Cn400 in the T4 instead)

n80 with slide film (e100gx) 28.105

Bogen table top tripod for law light shots and architectural shots. I use it often pressed against a wall in low light.

Ciao Steve !

generally speaking a mix should be better : Nikon FE2 with 24/2.8 and 28-105 will help you to cover the most situation.

A little tripod will be useful for internal shots in Church (we have many and beautiful here)

I suggest you to carry with you some films. In Florence, Siena or in Grosseto for example you'll have no problem to find big shop with a wide range of film,) but in the small villages you'll find only some kodak gold.

Black & white films should turn out good (we are going to have so & so weather in the next period...)

have a wonderful trip in this wonderful land

regars

Alberto<div>0066o2-14648584.jpg.1ebfcfc324ef3bb5dfbab1c3ea9dc202.jpg</div>