What is the fastest shooting manual focus Nikon body?

charlie_garcia

First off let me tell you guys what ill be using this camera for. The

camera will be used in a water housing to shoot surfing. my setup

will be pretty simple. i made a custom housing out of 8 inch PVC and

some Lexan plexiglass. ill be using a fisheye (zenitar) at F8 with

the focus set to infinity. i need a fast shooting manual focus

camera, the cheaper the better. i just purchased an F5 and im on an

extremely tight budget hence the zenitar fisheye. i really dont know

much about the specifications of any of the manual focus nikkors but

i need something that shoots faster than 3 frames per second. F3

maybe? any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks a million

I believe the absolute fastest would be the

<a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/htmls/f3h.htm">

13.5 fps F3H</a>. Those

are fairly rare and exotic, though. You'd get less than three

seconds worth of shooting before reloading, anyway.

<p>

A garden variety F3 with MD-4 will do somewhere around 4 to 6

fps, depending on the batteries, shutter speed, and mirror lockup.

<p>

For this application, the F3's action finder might be a very

nice thing to have.

Many of the older Nikons shoot faster; when the mirror is locked up. There was a Hulcher camera that used Nikon F lenses; than would eat a roll of 36 exposures in about 2 seconds or less. Using a fisheye and a waterproof housing sounds like a challenge. The glass in front of the fisheye; and the fisheye might be a challenge; good luck

Why focus a fisheye at infinity for surfing shots? Why not focus near the subject distance? Focusing at infinity will limit your subject sharpness.

I would either focus at a few feet or at hyperfocal distance. Suppose your subjects are likely to be 5 to 20 feet away, just choose about 10 feet as your focus point and shoot away. At hyperfocal, you will have maximum DOF and will likely have sharper subjects than if you focus at infinity.

Of the common / inexpensive ones, I'd go F3/MD-4. With alkalines, you'll only do about 3.5 fps, but with the MN-2 NiCad you'll push it out to 5.5, 6 with MLU. Add the MH-2 charger for the MN-2, and you can have it all for under $400 (www.keh.com, 'bargain' grade).

Add a DA-2 action finder for $94 if you've engineered your housing for viewing, and you have a hot setup.

Shun, if it were me, I'd be looking for the most cost-efficient way to 'get it done' according to the performance parameters I thought were needed. I'm not a diver, but 'flooding happens'. So of course my idea of cost-efficient means putting the least-cost stuff at risk. $400 for an F3/MD-4 ain't exactly 'chump change', but it beats the replacement cost of an F5.

Extending that thought a little further, $200 for an FE/MD-12 that shoots at roughly 3.5 fps is another pricepoint to consider, especially if Charlie didn't design in a 'viewfinder' for his rig.

yea Todd i definitely didnt design in a viewfinder its merely a simple fisheye setup and i am looking into just getting it done. this is the only thing ill use this camera for. you're also right about me not taking my F5 in the surf. if i was gonna do something idiotic like that i would never have asked the question. my f5 will stay on the beach...for now. thanks for all the replies guys.

Charlie, run a search, I remember reading this past winter somewhere (maybe on this site) of some guy that had these incredible shots from inside the wave. Sorry I can't remember where, maybe post the question in the unified. Oh yeah, I agree with Todd, my F3 with the MD-4 will burn up some film.

Jim