the 50mm f/1.4 is far less dampened, with the effect that I find it

difficult sometimes to keep the focus adjusted during framing

(particularly with portrait work). My preference really is with

firmer damping. Now, I wonder as to whether I'm the only human being

in this wide world thinking about this subject, and, more

importantly, as to whether anybody knows if there are means of

changing the damping characteristics of a manual focus Nikkors. I'd

be happy if I could get my often used 50mm to the damping level of my

even more used 35mm. Great appreciation for any response in advance!

It is known that AI lenses introduced in 1977 have a stiffer feel to the focus ring, where AIS lenses, introduced in approx. 1982-83 all have both an easier ring to turn and the distance from minimum focus distance to infinity was much shorter, so it's a trade-off. I like the longer focus throw of AI lenses but you have to deal with a slightly stiffer movement, where the AIS is very smooth, but the shorter distance of movement from infinity to close focus is, in many cases, too small to be able to effectively use the DOF scale on the lens.

In my experience damping characteristics depend on grease and mechanical adjustment. It can be changed by customer service. Many older lenses are less dampened because grease evaporates. I just got back my AIS 20/2.8, new grease and adjustment - it´s just perfect now, firm but smooth. Expensive though, about 100 Euro.

Age is a big factor, as the grease is slowly pushed out over many "twists". Initially, the damping is affected greatly by the tolerance between the helicord parts, and the engagement area. The largest maker of damping greases is Nye Corp, and they sell the stuff in various grades, depending on how much damping you want. The stuff is a wide temperature range synthetic grease loaded with, I think, ultra fine silica, and the design of it is quite sophisticated. In theory, you can get any lens to feel just the way you want it, but as a practical matter I suspect companies settle on one grease for most everything, often not a true damping grease at all. You'll probably learn more than I can offer by doing a search on Nyogel or Kilopoise.

Some techs offer customized focus damping to suit a photographer's preferences or needs for certain environmental conditions. For example, less damping may be appropriate in extremely cold climates where helicoid grease tends to stiffen.

My 50/2 Nikkor has very light damping and can be focusing with just the tip of my left index finger, yet the feel is positive, not twitchy. I've considered having my other lenses modified to match.

Or I might do it myself. I've rebuilt Canon FD, Zuiko and other lenses. Not terribly difficult, just tedious. Judging from exploded parts diagrams for typical AI/AIS Nikkors it appears the entire inside lifts out as an intact unit which would greatly simplify this task, if I'm reading the diagrams correctly.

• 4 weeks later...