format. I really love it and havent picked up all the other 35mm

and med. format stuff since. For the past year or so I have been

using a Wisner Traditional 4x5 that I have borrowed from my

boss. I love it but I love working with view camera and haven't

really used any others except sinars and toyos in a studio. My

problem is that the owner has offered to sell it to me for $1300,

that includes the camera, f64 pack, caltar 210mm, 15 holders,

loupe, etc..., That sounds good right? But I like to backpack and

the traditonal is a little bulky and (relatively) heavy.

What should I do go, with the Wisner or look around. I have been

reading about Ebony and all its praises. It costs more but I'm

willing to spend more to get something that will last longer than

me. Or is a higher model Wisner right for me. Also I plan on

using lenses between 90 and 210mm. With the occational

extended bellows,close-up, "macro" work.

Any suggestions, thoughts, or advice will be greatly appreciated.

-John

I have a 4x5 Wisner tech. It's a very capable, though somewhat heavy, camera. Ron Wisner has gotten some very bad press here, so I would expect comments to that effect.

You will want a bag bellows with the 90, and Caltar doesn't narrow it down much, but that taken into consideration, the deal sounds like a good one to me.

Sounds like a great deal, especially since you have used the camera for a while and know that you like it. You can probably get most of that money back later by just selling the camera, so the only major downside is a better workout when backpacking. Consider adding a lightweight 4x5 for backpacking later. Ebony makes really nice cameras, but a new Ebony is not as good value as the deal you are being offered!

John, I have a Wisner Technical Field 4x5. When I bought it in 1990 it was the only Wisner offered. It has served me very well. However, given the choice at the time, I would have purchased the Traditional. I am quite content with regular base tilts. I have never used the full 23 inch bellows; in fact, I replaced the regular bellows with Wisner's infra red bellows. They are shorter, so function better with my 135 lens. The Traditional is noticable lighter and smaller than the Technical Field.

The deal sounds fair to me, especially since you are familiar with the camera. The Wisner cameras are certainly well built. They do tend to be larger and heavier than other offerings. The only other 4x5 cameras I have used to any extent are the Wista DXII and the Busch Pressman. The Wista is a very nice lightweight camera. It does not have quite the versatility or rigidity of the Wisner. The Busch, in my opinion, is the pick of the litter for adapting press cameras to field use.

I don't think you would regret getting the Wisner. Yes, it is on the heavy side, however, if you are making a closeup shot, and have to move back about an inch or two, there is nothing like the luxury of having back focus. (It allows you to move the camera, rather than the tripod.)

The bad press about Wisner comes from long unexpected waits for orders. Ron's forte is cameras, not business. By buying a good used camera, you don't have to wait, and you still have a Wisner. If I should ever decide to buy a 5x7 or another 8x10, I would buy another Wisner.

More praise for Wisner.

I've been using a 4x5 Technical Field for almost 10 years and have no complaints about it. (The real weight I've found, come from all the film holders I take with me... Not the extra pound or two the camera might be.)

I've used nearly all the movements that it offers however I've never needed the amount of bellows it offers, and I don't think I've ever used rear rise.

Overall, I'd buy another as well without any reservation! A great camera in all regards.

Another thumbs up. If you like the camera and it's in good condition. The price is less than a new one without lenses etc. As for weight, you would only save about a lb with the Ebony model that would compare in features. It might be a little nicer but it's also about twice the cash for the camera alone. Good luck and have fun.

Good camera at a very good price, buy it.

Have you backpacked with it yet? If not, you may find that saving a pound or two on the weight of the camera won't make a meaningful difference, overall, especially if the pack fits you decently.

If it turns out really to be too heavy, you can sell it at a gain, and start investigating the super lights, like the Toho and the Gowland.

John,

You have a good deal here if the camera is in good shape and you like it. I own a Wisner Technical Field as well as Wista DXII and love both. Despite the long delays reported on this forum for Wisner cameras, the product is very good. I've purchased a used Ebony (my Wisner is used also) and was very disappointed because of all the forum hipe. I expected much more, and especially if you factor price,

the Wisner wins hands down. I sent the Ebony back to the dealer. I use the 23 inches of bellows often and have the bag bellows for wide angle work. I must point out that the Ebony camera purchased new is a very good camera. Any camera when abused will get poor reviews. The Ebony is smaller, but if you want one with an equal bellows extension to the TF you must spend $4000 for the Ebony SV45U2 new which includes asymetrical movements. When you compare this to $1850 for the Wisner TF or $1495 for the Wisner Traditional brand new, the Wisner wins out. And it is a camera that will last a lifetime. I might point out that I use both Toyo and Sinar view cameras as you do. I have played with a used Traditional and found it very sturdy. I use the geared tilt on the back of the TF frequently so have no need for the Traditional, but the fact that there are less movements on the back means more stability. The Caltar lenses are very good lenses. I have a mix of Caltar and Schnieder lenses and find them very similar. I think that $1300 for the lot is a good deal if all is in good condition. The fact that you have used the camera is a plus. The grass always looks greener...get the Wisner and shoot.

Gary

I own a Wisner Pocket Expedition 4x5 since the end of 2001 and love it. It is very well

made, light, rather small, and sturdy. I can use lenses from 65mm to 450mm (not

tele) with the standard bellows. I would have to spend a small fortune to get a Ebony

with such a range and I don't think my images would be better.

I have used Wisner's customer services a few times to add a couple modifs on the

camera (I bought it used) and to get parts (I broke a ground screen when the camera

fell on rocks) and have been very pleased with the way I was treated and how quick

my request were taking care of.

The Traditional is a bit heavier than the Pocket Expedition but the deal you are being

offered sounds good.

A correction to Georges' statement that he would have to spend a small fortune to get an Ebony with the same lens range as his Wisner Pocket Expedition. The Ebony SV45 series has the same range (actually a little better). The SV45Ti (mahogany wood) costs about $2,400, the SVTe (ebony wood) costs about $2,750. The Wisner Pocket Expedition costs about $2,500.

I don't see anything in your message saying that you bought your Pocket Expedition used, nor do I see anything about the $1,600 you now say you paid for it. You simply said that it would cost a fortune to buy an Ebony with a usable lens range comparable to the range of your Wisner PE.

I said a new Ebony SVTe would cost $2,700 because that's what I paid for mine when I bought it from MidWest Photo Exchange last month. The price of $2,400 for the Ebony SVTi was the price quoted to me by MidWest Photo Exchange last month when I was trying to decide whether to buy it or the SVTe that I ultimately bought.

Another approach is to get a top-of-the-line pack, like one by

Dana Designs (Rolls-Royce of backpacks). :-) I've done packing

trips with a Toyo VX125, Fuji 617 w/ Rollei 6008i and a couple of

lenses, and Rollei 6008i w/ a few lenses. BTW, the Toyo bellows

are so supple, I don't need a bag bellows, even w/ a 47XL!

Longest lens I can use is a 300/9 Nikkor (same bellows). So

that's one less accessory you have to buy/carry.