D1x White Balance

erik_picazo_espinoza

Hi everyone!

Could anyone tell me some advice on balancing whites in the D1x,

please?

I've tried all the presets, and even the manual setup, but I might

have done something wrong... My main problem is in interiors, with

incandescent light in the room, but large windows where natural light

passes through, and sometimes I try to use flash.

Thanks in advance for your kind support.

Erik Picazo

Your problem is mixed lighting, not your camera. You can white balance to only one source of illumination which means that the others will be off. Only way around this is to make all the illumination the same. You can gel your flash to make it look like incandescent or you can turn off the incandescents and use flash together with natural light.(Natural light is usually the same color temperature as flash.) You could also replace the incandescent bulbs with small strobes. Some architectural photographers do this.<p>

Now, if you were shooting film there are emulsions that are tolerant to mixed lighting but it can be a problem even so.

TO use CTO or CTB you need to decide what color temp you are going for. Because CTO and CTB come in different strengths. 1/8,1/4,1/2 and full. Also as the gell ages in front of the light they loose there effect. They bleach. With my D100 I tend to white ballance under the mixed light and see what I get. Just like when I have to shoot video under mixed light.Also remember if you use photofloods they have a 4 hr life and the color temp changes as they age.