Keeping a black M-body prestine

harry4

You can use the case for the Bessa R/R2, much cheaper than those from Leica.<P>

<a href=http://www.photo.fr/portfolios/rodger/>These guys</a> clearly didn't mind being taken as poseurs/amateurs, nor were they seem to be slowed down by their "never ready cases." (Those of you who consider the guy on the left an infidel, just concentrate on the other one.)

"Please help...! I want to keep my M6 in the same prisine condition as it is now."

That's weird...I thought this was the Leica forum, but I guess it's actually for some kind of precious collectibles...Those little Hummel figurines, maybe? Or perhaps rare coins and stamps? What the hell forum have I stumbled into?

Harry S: with their ERC cases, neither were those guys concerned about what other people think of them. :)

A Leica M in great cosmetic and mechanical condition IS costly (at least to us outside the millionaires' club). It's perfectly understandable that some of us will want to minimize the chance of scuffs and scratches, whether for keeps or for future re-sale. Harry D is evidently not a fondler, as he has already stated he IS going to use the camera frequently. Perhaps he also knows that in time, the "black chrome" finish will show discolouration with normal use and perspiration/grease/what-not from his hands and face, not to mention the usual wear and tear, hence his question.

Some people never use protective filters, other always do. Same thing for lens hoods, straps, camera bags, softies, flashes, colour/BW film, even TTL meters. No big deal about ERC cases - they're all personal preferences. Why not have a bigger heart in such trivial matters?

Okay, Harry, you know that acid-free adhesive tape that people use to fix books? Well, that's supposed to leave no gunk on the surface if it's eventually removed, even years down the track. I have a roll at home but haven't tried it on cameras yet. I think your post just inspired me to do a test.

Of course I can't and won't guarantee anything but if you put acid-free tape over all the painted surfaces, once the time comes to remove the tape there shouldn't be any gunk to scrape off. If you don't like the glossy look you can always put any old black tape over it.

I was shooting a job last night, mostly speakers at a public hearing on disaster preparedness, using my M2-R with 35 Summicron (black 6 element), and chrome 90 "long" Elmarit. The IUFOO hood for the 90 has a few dings and some paint missing from the front rim, easily lowering it's eBay value below the hundred dollar mark. I probably paid less than five for the used hood years ago. The rare M2-R body has been recovered once so the vulcanite still looks good, but as I examined it I noticed that the edge of the baseplate is worn through to brass almost all the way around, the top is meter scuffed, the chrome is polished bright and shiny from strap rub above the worn lugs, and there are a few minor dents. The 35 Summicron is beat to hell, paint missing,and the hood has bright aluminum all the way around the no longer round front rim. The glass is clean. Even in well used shape it's all worth far more than than I paid 30 or 35 years ago*. It has seen thousands of rolls of film through it, and made I have no idea how much money over the years. Last night it photographed an official from Homeland Security who was probably in kindergarten when it photographed Janis Joplin. Go take some pictures with your camera. It's a tool, not just an icon.

*When the M2-R was marketed it was offered together with a 50mm Dual Range Summicron for $375.00. I was recently offered $1,800.00 for the body.

I recenty stopped by Tamarkin's New York store - they have decent half cases

for something like $69. They are the type that does not require bolting them

down to the tripod coupler, instead they go over the lugs - a very convinient

set up, these cases also have a little hand grip. You can also get a half case

made by Luigi, which are very attractive and well made, just like the Leica

:)