Buying from Tin Cheung Camera in HK

eddie_jim

Just purchased a Contax 645 35mm lens from Tin Cheung Camera in HK

through one of my friends there, because i'm based in Australia. When

my friend asked for the price of the lens, they quoted HK$10500, but

by the time when he paid, they charged $10800 instead, it is only

$300, but its very bad for their reputation, i bought a whole set of

Contax 645 there a year ago without any problem, hopefully they see

this and wont happen again in the future.

You're bitching over about $40 or less than 3% of the price? And besmirching Tin CHeung's reputation about it? I think we should know a little more about the exact circumstances rather than your vague story before you publicly cry foul like this. I've bought numerous Contax SLR and G lenses and equipment from them a few different times on my business trips there when I lived and worked in Beijing They were nothing but honest and forthright all the way. If you do not like it I recommend you try any other camera place with neon signs within a 3 block radius of them. Maybe then you'll appreciate more how much of a wonderful oasis Tin Cheung Camera is within a cesspool of rip-off artists.

I think that most of the camera shops have varying prices depending on the shipment against which they are quoting - if the Yen goes up then so do prices - I know it can be upsetting but that is the way they set their pricing, so if your inquiry and payment were very far apart in terms of timing that could explain the difference.

I agree with everyone here. It is a great place to buy and the folks there are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. With international trades, you need to take into account for the currency rate exchange. It's not fair to blame the business while others such as wall street control the exchange market.

I live in Hong Kong and have to say that Tin Cheung isn't exactly a shopping paradise as many people think. The prices on most of their stuff (except maybe camera bags) are not cheap and their services are not very professional. There are certainly a few other shops within the area that offer much better deal and service and are more honest. Many friends of mine and some I met on local photographic forum have had bad experience with them. Although in Eddie's case the difference in price isn't very large, it does reflect the general attitude of this shop.

I had dealt with Tin Cheung before and I agree that they do have attitude problem when dealing with customers - not just on price also their elegancy. I had stopped buying anything from them. It is a shame to see this kind of things happening at the Hong Kong shops.

I am also from HK. While $40 isn't much it is a very common trick a lot of shops play.

They quote you a price and then round it off to the nearest $80 HK dollars hoping you

wouldn't say anything and most people don't since the transaction has been charged

already and it is not a lot money. It sounds petty and it is but these shops operate on

very tight margins and they make money from volume and pettiness like this. More

reputable shops don't do this but unfortunately the list is very short.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

<p>I live in Hong Kong too and I have to say my dealings with Tin Cheung have been very favourable, both with buying and selling second hand lenses and equipment, as well as new.</p>

<p>It seems to me that, unlike many photography shops, it's actually run by people who like photography and know about the equipment.</p>

<p>I'm sorry to hear other people have had bad experiences, but I never have. </p>

<p>It is the ONLY shop in Tsimshatsui I trust, apart from the Broadway and Fortress chain stores. </p>