C220 Composition

alan_felsted

I just got a Mamiya 220 and am thrilled with the quality of the images. I'm now learning about 2 1/4 composition as opposed to 35mm. The ground glass is 2 inches square. Is it showing me the entire image that will be on the negative? I'm wanting to put 4x5 cropping lines on it, but was unsure where to put them.

<p>

Thanks for any input.

<p>

Alan.

I have a Mamiya C330 and the ground glass seems to show the entire image. At least I haven't had any unpleasant surprises after developing my film. I haven't done any scientific testing because this hasn't presented a problem. If you want to add crop marks I'd suggest experimenting with a spare ground glass. I usually compose about one-fifth of the way in from the top and bottom or sides, depending upon whether I want a horizontal or vertical print. Of course, I sometimes compose for a square print, and sometimes change my mind when I have the negative in the enlarger. That's the beauty of the square format.

If you do the calculation, you'll find that the C series have about 95% finder coverage. This is a common value for reflex cameras; some are better, some are worse.

<p>

Since the 220 screen is fixed, I'd use the finder recess to mount an acetate overlay. It isn't quite as easy to use as something on the finder surface, but it won't cause any damage either.

Figuring out where to put 4x5 composition lines is relatively simple. Just measure the surface of your ground glass (say for example that it's 6 centimeters) and then divide the this measurement by 5. The result of 1.2 should then be divided by two, for a result of 0.6 centimeters. This gives you the distance from the edges of the frame for the position of the frame lines. That is, for vertical composition lines the left hand line should run 0.6 cm from the left hand edge of the glass and the right hand line should run 0.6 cm from the right hand edge of the glass.

I put two sets of 4x5 composition lines (one vertical and one horizontal) on the SMOOTH SIDE of the ground glass of a hasselblad using special water-soluble marking pens. These pens are called lumocolour (or luminocolour or something like that) and are made for writing on the plastic sheets that are used in overhead projectors. The clean off easily and do no damage to the ground glass.

• 4 months later...